CD RW help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to this Forum. I want to make a backup of a database so I can migrate it to a new computer. I put in a fresh CD-RW in the drive and queue it up to write and I immediately get a message that says "Space available 0 bytes space required 35516720 bytes." I believe that equates to 34 MB and my CD is 700 MB. Do I have to format a new CD RW before using it? Any help I can get will be much appreciated. Thank you.

If it's a CD R\W Re-Writable Disc, then you may need to format it

Generally the normally purchase discs are not the re-writable type (ie they only write once, and cannot be formatted)

When writing discs most users use the writing software that came with the CD R\W Drive
(are you using Nero or some other burning software?)

Sometimes it's just a faulty disc (even a batch of discs, but less likely) try another blank disc

Or the last option, is that you have a faulty CD Drive that can read but not write (seen many times before)
In this case you may need to purchase a new CD r\w Drive
(ie a DVD R\W Drive, that comes with burning software)

CD Rw

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I tried to figure out how to format the CD RW but I couldn't. In the days before XP, I seem to recall that you just clicked on Properties and "format" was one of the choices. I don't have third-party burning software. I have inserted a regular CD in the drive and I get the same "0 bytes available" message. These are both brand-new CDs. I suspect this is not a complicated problem, I just can't figure out the answer.

Thank you for any further thoughts you may have.

hidekog

Other than the Drive and the discs faulty possibility, try this: :)

Start-->Run--> services.msc
Maximize the Serices Window that eventually opens
Scroll down to : IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service
Double click on that service
Confirm the startup is set for Automatic
If not, change it to automatic, then Apply->ok
Restart your computer and try again

If there was actually no change done above (ie it was already in Automatic setting)
Then refer to my first post ;)

CD Rw

Many thanks for your suggestion. I did as you said but I still get that same message about "0 bytes available." I just tried copying a totally different file to the CD RW and it copied with no trouble. So, I think that means there's something going on with the program that I'm trying to back up. I feel relieved that I can believe it is not a problem with a box of CD's nor a problem with my CD drive.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond; it has helped me troubleshoot my problem.

hidekog

Thanks for the update :grinthumb

I must remember to say test with burning something else, ie a picture or something :rolleyes:

By the way, normally you cannot burn installed programs to CD, unless you are burning the original setup (or install) program. I understand you may have originally meant "Data" (Being user files such as pictures or documents etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back