Cdrom does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitech0101

Yes its a cd rom 8 year old cd rom . It does not detect any cd inserted in it. It is my friend's computer it is running on 128 mb RAM 0.8 Ghz Pentium III . I know that he should replace it the entire PC but he wants to run it .Is there a solution to this. It is a 52x cd rom.

If you put a boot disc in the CD drive, (ie like any Windows disc) and the CD reads, then its not the drive but possibly your Windows version (Win98 ?)

I know this may sound a little offensive, but I threw away about 4 complete working computers with slightly (ever so) specs than your friend's computer
If you go to any computer tech shop they may even give you one for a couple of dollars (which is obviously too much ;))

The thing is he wants to buy a new machine in a few months so he wants it to work till then & we tried the win xp boot disc it is the only cd we have rest all are dvds they don't work any way.His PC loads till the welcome screen & it reboots that is why need the cd drive to perform a repair . It is fine if you can tell any other way to repair the PC even when we try safe mode the PC reboots.

Have you set CD as the first boot drive in Bios Settings? (usually press DEL key at system startup, but can be some F# key too, like F2)
Mind you, that old PC may not even have CD as an option to boot from in Bios settings :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back