CDRW/DVD Combo problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaz182004

:mad:hey

i got a samsung sm-308b combo cdrw/dvd player combo n i cant use it to write or even play a disk but the computer is recognisin its there n its sayin its working properly but i cant burn a cd becuse its sayin there is no cd in drive even tho there is. ive tried puttin a normal cd in it e.g. a program disk and it ent recognising its in there. ive tried updating drivers but its sayin i got the latest drivers for it and ive tried the firmware download from samsung and it still not working.
any suggestions???

regards

gaz

I think the Drive is the problem. You can do nothing much, if it is the problem. THe best solution is to replace it. I had to replace my Samsung SM-352F DVD/CD-RW Drive, as my vendor could do nothing about it. My drive would read CD's only, no DVD's nor CD writing.

thanks il try it. thinkin about it it probs has just gone on me cuz it was workin a while ago but then i didnt alot of burning at once and it prob just knackard it up

reagards

gaz

Your drive could be bad. It's happened to me. However, because there is nothing to lose, try going to the Device Manager and find the DVD/CD-ROM drives. Uninstall the combo drive in the Device Manager (not physically removing it), restart and let Windows detect and reinstall the driver for it. See if that helps.

Edit: corrected technical error.

hey

thanks for your help ive tried uninstalling the drive and rebootin but windows picks it up installs it and then it goes back to not workin so this makes me think even more its a mechanical fault e.g. the lazer has gone or summit. but thanks again for tryin to help :) :)

regards

gaz

I does indeed sound as if that drive has died.

Not sure if this would even help, if it was not the case, but try uninstalling the drivers in the device manager as someone else suggested. Then shutdown the PC and disconnect the drive and start the PC up without it being connected. Then shutdown and follow installation procedure as if the drive was new.

Try to boot from it, your bootable Windows install disk, or a linux disk. That right there tells you whether its the drive, or the OS.

I'm having the same problem with my Samsung 308b Combo drive, actually. I needed to replace the cd-burner that came with my eMachine, and the computer recognizes the drive, but it doesn't access CDs, DVDs, or recognize blank discs when I try to burn.

I'm having a similar prob with SM-352F

mailpup said:
Your drive could be bad. It's happened to me. However, because there is nothing to lose, try going to the Device Manager and find the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller. Uninstall the combo drive in the Device Manager (not physically removing it), restart and let Windows detect and reinstall the driver for it. See if that helps.

Please explain exactly how to uninstall the combo drive in the Device Manager. I can not understand how to do this. :eek:

My CDRW/DVD will recognize CD's and let Roxio burn them, but will not recognize a DVD. When I insert a DVD, I get this error message"

"DVD Player is not properly configured. You must have a decoder card or decoder software to use DVD Player."

The odd thing is, the DVD player was working up until a few weeks ago.

My bad. In the Device Manager go to DVD/CD-ROM drives and right click on the drive in question. Click uninstall, restart and let Windows reinstall.

When you go to IDE ATA/ATAPI controller, that's where you go to check to see if your optical drive is in DMA or PIO mode and make changes if needed. I don't think this applies in this situation anyway.

mailpup - I did as you suggested. (Sorry not to have known how to uninstall the drive!) Windows did reinstall the drive. But, when I attempted to play a DVD, I got the very same error message. Upon checking the Device Manager, the drive is reinstalled. Hmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back