Cyberpunk 2077 update entirely bricks the game for PS4 disc users

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Facepalm: Cyberpunk 2077 has had one rocky ride. It has tried to bounce back and has somewhat successfully fixed most of its launch problems with two massive updates last year and continuing bug fixes to the present. However, it has hit another pothole with the recent "next-gen" update.

It feels like forever that we have been waiting for the PS5 and XBSX versions of Cyberpunk 2077, but fans have been willing to wait as long as it takes for CD Projekt Red to release them without a flaw. The studio finally released the upgrades on Monday, but it was not without issues.

Cyberpunk's gigantic 50GB 1.5 patch improved a lot of things and officially released the next-gen upgrades that CDPR had promised. For the most part, there have not been too many complaints. The update did fix many things and added many new features that you can check out in our coverage.

However, some PlayStation owners who bought the PS4 version on disc complain that the game is now completely broken. After installing the patch, players state that the game refuses to boot on both the vanilla PS4, the PS4 Slim, and the PS4 Pro. In some instances, an error message is accompanied by instructions to delete the game and then reinstall it from the disc, but this has not corrected the problem.

It's not just the PS4, either. Some PC users are also encountering frequent crashing. According to CDPR Community Director Marcin Momot, the PC problem is a conflict between the game and some audio software. A temporary workaround is to disable audio drivers before launching the game.

Unfortunately for PS4 owners, their problems have no workaround. Momot assures players that the developers are aware of both problems and are working to fix them as quickly as possible.

Permalink to story.

A temporary workaround is to disable audio drivers before launching the game.

Yeah because is not like you'd be needing the audio drivers for anything like sound....On a game that spend a lot of effort on sound design and fully featured radio stations, who needs sound right?

Seriously laughable incompetence: It's been over a year and they still can't be bothered to actually listen to the testing team at all it seems.

Cyberpunk really is a very good game. The story, the graphics, music. Even the shooting is half decent really. But they should never have tried releasing it on the PS4 and the Xbox One. Those users won’t have good experiences and the hate generated from the attempt will smother the praise.

But for me, with an RX480 at 1080P, I had a great time. If you’re looking at playing this game and your hardware isn’t a 9 year old console you will probably have a good time too.

I honestly don't care about PS4 or Xbox One X. This game NEVER should have been made for those systems. As long as it works on PS5 and Xbox Series X - fine.

It's a shame to see so many buyers suffer glitches and unplayability.

I downloaded this game on release night, streamed my gameplay and played through it twice without any game breaking bugs - although there were minor glitches here and there. I would give the PC version an A - while the average console gamer would give it an F - - .

It worked flawlesssly on a 5960x and 2080Ti as well as a 3090FTW3.

Cyberpunk really is a very good game. The story, the graphics, music. Even the shooting is half decent really. But they should never have tried releasing it on the PS4 and the Xbox One. Those users won’t have good experiences and the hate generated from the attempt will smother the praise.

But for me, with an RX480 at 1080P, I had a great time. If you’re looking at playing this game and your hardware isn’t a 9 year old console you will probably have a good time too.
I've gone over before how this isn't a problem created by the developer or the publisher, it's the investment firm that owns both that is calling the shots. They wanted it to be released on as many platforms as possible, even if they couldn't run it and they demanded it be released before Christmas to sell as many copies as possible, even if it wasn't ready.

A lot of people from CDPR left after this whole fiasco.

Yeah because is not like you'd be needing the audio drivers for anything like sound....On a game that spend a lot of effort on sound design and fully featured radio stations, who needs sound right?

Seriously laughable incompetence: It's been over a year and they still can't be bothered to actually listen to the testing team at all it seems.
I know someone who ran into this issue, you don't disable Audio, it's a specific audio service that's installed with certain mobo audio drivers that's the conflict, once you stop the service, it works fine, sound and all.

It's a shame Techspot didn't go into more detail and just made it sound like you have to play with no Audio.

I've gone over before how this isn't a problem created by the developer or the publisher, it's the investment firm that owns both that is calling the shots. They wanted it to be released on as many platforms as possible, even if they couldn't run it and they demanded it be released before Christmas to sell as many copies as possible, even if it wasn't ready.

Well, I do remember fans kicking off and threatening to cancel their preorders if the game was delayed again. Basically as usual the computer games industry is toxic af. Nobody deserved the hate that CDPR got for this, no one had to buy CP. You should always wait until a game is actually out before buying it and we all know that. But people did anyway and then formed hate groups about it, even after getting their money back.

As far as I’m concerned, the game was a lot better than most other new releases over the last 12 months or so but it’s been under a brutal and rather irrational attack. People have made 2 hour long videos about how CDPR abandoned its principles etc. There are a lot of miserable gamers out there with nothing better to do apparently.

Well, I do remember fans kicking off and threatening to cancel their preorders if the game was delayed again. Basically as usual the computer games industry is toxic af. Nobody deserved the hate that CDPR got for this, no one had to buy CP. You should always wait until a game is actually out before buying it and we all know that. But people did anyway and then formed hate groups about it, even after getting their money back.

As far as I’m concerned, the game was a lot better than most other new releases over the last 12 months or so but it’s been under a brutal and rather irrational attack. People have made 2 hour long videos about how CDPR abandoned its principles etc. There are a lot of miserable gamers out there with nothing better to do apparently.
I loved Cyper Punk mostly because it was so different than anything anyone had been trying. It wasn't Fort Legends: Field of Duty 9

Your basicly saying it shoud'nt be available on the largest consoles around the world. Good riddance.

It's all X86 compatible; they just downscale the resolution, graphics quality and so on. However an update seems to brick the console which is very bad testing.

I loved Cyper Punk mostly because it was so different than anything anyone had been trying. It wasn't Fort Legends: Field of Duty 9
Me too. Thought it had a really unusual ambience. The whole dystopian city was really well done with some interesting characters. If only the role-playing aspects had been deeper and actions had more consequence and some of the AI and the police system had been more thoroughly implemented it would have been a fantastic game. As it was it was just good but a little shallow at times.

Turns out this issue is a problem with the PS4 OS and patches. Sony is releasing a system update today to resolve it.

People keep saying this. Oh it was the people who invested. Like the Board or something. But many games came out across all those platforms without the problems CP2077 had. It was more then just an investment firm. If those people did leave and knew this game wasn’t coming out in the state it was, then one of them could have leaked it or did something. Come on. It’s 2022 and gameplay, release dates, titles, and so much crap get leaked. They could have done something. As they obviously care about the job as they left. It was both CDPR fault and many others. CDPR bought into the hype that they couldn’t be touched because they made one great game, Witcher 3. That is it.

The whole bs that the ps4 and X1 versions were one too many is crazy. This crap happened with Valhalla and many games since. Yet people keep trying say the ps4/x1 should have never got a release. Shut the ps4/x1 where the next gen when this game was announced. GTFO

The fact that you say that CP2077 was better then most of games in the 12 months leading to its release is crazy. It was the worse game of 2021. It was a broken, water down, disaster of a game.

It had major features missing was broke on the ps4/D1. Kind of worked on the ps5/xsx. Even pc was riddled with bugs. Lol. The game was a disaster and still is. I mean CDPR had to hire an outside team who to fix the game. The people were the ones who fixed the game on their own after the horrible release.

CDPR bought into their own hype. The Witcher 3 was their only huge hit. People came out saying CDPR was untouchable. That CD2077 was gonna be the next rpg that would set the new rpg standards. Even CDPR agreed. I mean the CEO said no crunch then a year later ask people to do crunch. But it was leaked that crunch never stopped.

Anthem, BF2, and NMS had some of the worst launches. But the difference was 2 were fixed quick. NMS and BF2 turned their game around within a quick period. Anthem didn’t and was rightly shut down. CP2077 is a year and a half out. Yet still still a broken mess.

As for people getting their money back. Many didn’t. First most of the preorders. Like 60% was pc. Consoles were harder. Both MS and Sony suck at refunds in general. CDPR should have given refunds to all ps4/x1 people who bought the game. Sony did at least remove the game from PSN Store. This stopped people from buying and then trying to get a refund right away. MS didn’t remove it. Just added a warning. Lol. But most importantly no one knew what the ps4/x1 gameplay would look like. No one got a review code, which was weird. On top of that the gameplay showed on consoles was next gen. CDPR knew what they were doing they were hiding and never said anything.

The fact that you say that CP2077 was better then most of games in the 12 months leading to its release is crazy. It was the worse game of 2021. It was a broken, water down, disaster of a game.
I mean, Battlefield 2042, GTA: Definitive Edition and Call of Duty: Vanguard would like to have a word. They all not only launched in a worse state than CyberPunk 2077. All of them coming from I think bigger studios with more money as well...

It should be noted that not all disc owners are experiencing this problem. For many, if not most, there is no problem with the update.

Did those launch in the 12 months leading up to CP2077?
Nope, it's worse, they were after CP2077 launched. Rockstar at the time made a snarky remark on Twitter about "not launching your game too early" and then released the pile of garbage GTA: Definitive Edition and they deleted their old tweet.

Everyone mocks CP2077 and mostly I agree with it, I'm still hurt the marketing lied quite a bit BUT, BF2042 is just terrible, GTA is an actual joke. CoD can't even decide what time period it's set in.

Why CP2077 still keeps getting so much hate after those abominations I don't really understand, CD Projekt Red are smaller than Rockstar/EA/Activision and yet, they've done way more damage control, EA are basically clueless on why BF2042 is sh*t, Rockstar sort of apologised and let us buy the old games again but has gone quiet, Activision just outright do not care.

Back