Celeron D or Pentium 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trillionsin

Which one is truely better? I am thinking Pentium 4, right?

I dont have exact specs on chips but I will get them if anyone will help me figure this out.

I benchmarked with the Celeron D and Pentium 4 and got very similuar results, but I thought Pentium 4 was better.

Yea. I am talking about the Socket 478. Sorry, I hope I will get more replies when I get the specs on the two processors.

I'm sure the Ghz matter most, right? I'm not quite sure, this is why I am asking for help.

Thanks for your response already dustin_ds3000

That was true in the olden days (talking about only Intel here); not any more Tillionsin ... today's slower clocked processors will easily outperform higher clocked dinosaurs of Pentium 4 era ;)

Okay. Take that into consideration, and considering that this computer may have been bought (or put together) sometime around the year 2004. I would imagine the Pentium 4 (had a lightly higher Ghz rating) would process better than the Celeron D. So I would guess these processors are somewhere between 4- 6 years old.

Anyways, I will post back soon. Thanks Archean, hope you can give me some more detailed advice when I get specs.

Celeron D

2.93GHz/256/533
SL7TS Costa Rica

Pentium 4

2.80GHz
Freq: 2800MHz
FSB: 533 MHz
L1: 8KB
L2: 512KB

The celeron info is from the chip and the Pentium info is from the BIOS. If this isnt enough information to signify which one is faster (or better) then let me know and I will scrounge up some more info.

Well they are similarly clocked; and if you used some synthetic benchmark software (3d mark etc) it may give you impression that both are similar, but they are not.

Here is an excellent resource about difference of these two types of CPUs.

I am guessing you are comparing Pentium 4 (Northwood Core) with Celeron D (Cedar Mill Core)

Well they are similarly clocked; and if you used some synthetic benchmark software (3d mark etc) it may give you impression that both are similar, but they are not.

Here is an excellent resource about difference of these two types of CPUs.

I am guessing you are comparing Pentium 4 (Northwood Core) with Celeron D (Cedar Mill Core)

LOL! Why are you guessing?!

I'm pretty sure I saw Prescott on the Celeron D when I had it installed in the computer, and this is when I was doing a benchmark test to compair them. I didnt want to keep removing and installing CPUs, as I dont have that much thermal paste available to me at the moment. Not completely sure on the Prescott thing though.

Well keep the P4 then; because in most real world applications it will give better performance then. Keep the Celeron as backup i'd say.

Its a client's PC. To be completely honest I was just looking for someone to tell me to keep the P4 as I was somewhat already in the mindset that P4s are better than Celerons, but I do know thats not the case in current CPUs.

Thank you for the link to reference CPUs. That may come in handy another day.

I'm going to finish up his PC and return it to him, but I'm open to anyone else's suggestions on the differences if anyone would like to chim in.

Thank you Archean for being helpful and helping my confidence in the P4. :)

Well, the easiest way I'd compare them is just by their name.

Intel branded their "more powerful" CPUs (at the time) as Pentiums, and their less powerful counterparts as Celerons. If you're comparing a Pentium vs Celeron in the same era/clockspeed, the Pentium would outperform (at least on paper) the Celeron.

I'm not sure about Celerons today, but Celerons on the socket 478 tend to be a little cache-strapped :D

However, given that your client is sending a socket 478 to someone to get it fixed, I'm guessing how powerful the processor is probably isn't a very high priority to him/her

I'm not sure about Celerons today, but Celerons on the socket 478 tend to be a little cache-strapped :D
The L2 cache in the Celeron D wasn't upgraded until the "Cedar Mill", LGA 775 65nm core versions. (L2 @ 512 K, up from 256 K in the Prescott run). These Celeron Ds were the last of the net burst architecture models.

I include these because they were the parallel Celeron models to the Pentium 4

I think it was a Cedar Mill Celeron that was overclocked to 7 Ghz! There is a thread about that somewhere in our archives.

Edit; Actually 8+ Ghz...! Here's the thread; https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic128094.html containing a link to the original article

You can overclock a CPU as much as you want.... if information isn't coming in fast enough because of the lack of cache, it'll still perform pretty poorly....

Unfortunately I've got no idea how much cache is a good amount, although I'm sure it is application dependent.

I Think, Therefore I Am...., Er Needing Lots of L2 Cache...!

Unfortunately I've got no idea how much cache is a good amount, although I'm sure it is application dependent.
Probably more cache than exists in any production Celeron, is a good place to begin the investigation. As to now much need is marketing and how much need is need, that will always be an enigma I fear. Not to mention all of the foregoing depends on the individuals perceived need, which depends partially on their ego, and so on.

Um, all of this also depends on sloppy programming, which can cause the bottle necking in the first place.

Thanks guys for going on with my thread. Interesting stuff you guys are talking about. :)

CMH I'll have to send a Thank You in advance as I noticed your overclocking guide.

...but as this is on different subject, you may see my post in the appropriate place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back