Check out Boston Dynamics' latest "Atlas" humanoid robot

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Boston Dynamics has published a new video detailing the next generation of Atlas, the humanoid robot we've watched "grow up" over the past couple of years.

The latest battery-powered iteration features LIDAR and stereo sensors in its head for obstacle avoidance and to help navigate terrain while other sensors in the arms and legs assist the 5'9" tall, 180-pound robot in maintaining its balance. Fortunately, it's nowhere near as creepy as the company's robotic mules.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

In some places the robot appears to be drunk :)

But that sadistic man will get his spank later on... :)

It's actually coming along faster than I would have given them credit for. Hopefully in future generations it will have stronger organization skills (stacking & strengthening the boxes for max efficiency of space). The clumsiness will probably be resolved through further compensation, but the fact that it can get back on it's feet is a BIG improvement, lets roll it over on it's side or back and see if it can compensate for those positions. Oh yeah, a nice hair do and tits would also be a big improvement!

Truly amazing. I figure most of the weight is probably batteries.

I do feel bad for the abuse tests that they put the robot through. It is great that it can recover, but imagine if it was programmed for payback.

Of course at the end, the poor and abused robot is like, "I had enough of this crap"

I don't know if I'd be trying to knock them down, or, taunting them by knocking/moving the box out of the way.
These things probably have a memory, and, once they start arming these things, they might take out a little revenge. Whatever you do...DON'T connect them to google...we'd all be screwed! ;)

Truly amazing. I figure most of the weight is probably batteries.

I do feel bad for the abuse tests that they put the robot through. It is great that it can recover, but imagine if it was programmed for payback.

Of course at the end, the poor and abused robot is like, "I had enough of this crap"
LOL Yes, it is certainly possible to hurt the feelings of a microchip. :'(

Being that this is a DARPA project, the abuse tests are to ensure that after taking a hit in the field, it can recover and blow the sh!t out of what put it down in the first place... People in the US think SWAT teams are abusive, wait until these "babies" hit the field.

LOL Yes, it is certainly possible to hurt the feelings of a microchip. :'(

Being that this is a DARPA project, the abuse tests are to ensure that after taking a hit in the field, it can recover and blow the sh!t out of what put it down in the first place... People in the US think SWAT teams are abusive, wait until these "babies" hit the field.

Oh I know the abuse tests are needed, but looking at the guy doing the abuse. He looks like he is a natural jerk or something :D
It's like there was a job posting for an a**hole.

That was hilarious... I was waiting for it to take the hockey stick and start beating the man with it. Then.... we will know we are in real trouble.

Impressive progress though, although the stepping to maintain balance seems excessive. I hope they get that sorted out. I wonder if it is required, because I'm sure that wastes a lot of energy.

Isn't one of the portal 2 Cooperative Testing Initiative bots called atlas... Maybe atlas is willing to put up with all that abuse on the promise of cake!

I think the robot should be programmed to slap the $*** out of anyone with the audacity to knock the box out of its grasp.

Send a text message to their phone, "ORLY?!" and commence to a slappin'

Wow, so much empathy with the robot, you guys should start an organisation for protecting robot rights. I personally would have pushed it while it was picking the box, maybe even trip it for some real testing.

Back