Check out Samsung's Galaxy Z Flip 3 and Z Fold 3 before their rumored unveiling next month

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Samsung’s Galaxy Z Flip 3 and Z Fold 3 phones are rumored to launch in August, which means renders of the devices are leaking all over the internet, some of which appear official.

Last week saw prolific leaker Even Blass tweet images of the Galaxy Z Flip 3 and Z Fold 3. They appear to be official Samsung press release photos, and in the case of the Z Fold 3, confirm support for the Galaxy S Pen.

A listing for the device on the FCC website also mentions the S Pen, which would make the Z Fold 3 the only other handset outside of the Note series and Galaxy S21 Ultra to support Samsung’s stylus.

The FCC listing also confirms the Z Fold 3’s mmWave 5G and UWB (ultra-wideband) support, 9W wireless charging, reverse wireless charging, and MST for Samsung Pay. The device is said to feature a 7.5-inch AMOLED inner screen, a 6.2-inch cover display, and a Snapdragon 888 processor. It’s also rumored to be cheaper than the Z Fold 2, coming in at $1,600.

Looking to Samsung’s other premium offering, the Galaxy Z Flip 3, GizNext has just published more renders of the flip-style handset. The new model is said to feature a dual-tone color scheme and a larger (1.9-inch) external cover screen, while the 6.7-inch 25:9 internal display from the predecessor remains unchanged.

The Z Flip 3's rear dual-camera layout is now vertical, there’s a bigger battery, and it will reportedly have an under-screen selfie cam. Like the Z Fold 3, Qualcomm’s flagship Snapdragon 888 will be powering everything. It’s expected to be priced at $1,400 and could be available in at least eight color options.

The handsets are rumored to be unveiled at a Samsung Unpacked event next month and launch sometime in August. Better get saving if you're interested.

Permalink to story.

Crazy prices! Pointless.

Their terrified because Apple can sell the same useless crap at the same price and fools will gobble it up. Its all about getting to market first and trying to gain mindshare. It won't work, of course..only Apple cultists will pay for this kind of gimmicky rubbish.

Figurative flex by owning a literal flex phone: this is just another iteration of phones with gold and diamonds on them.

The promise is usually that these kind of features trickle down but for whatever reason, technical or strategical, Samsung just wants to keep it as a premium novelty feature.

Which is disappointing since widespread flexible displays would be kind of nice to have but it does looks like these were many, many years out of the possibility but companies like Samsung are just finding a way to repurpose what should be prototypes into a super high end demographic and I honestly do not like that.

Their terrified because Apple can sell the same useless crap at the same price and fools will gobble it up. Its all about getting to market first and trying to gain mindshare. It won't work, of course..only Apple cultists will pay for this kind of gimmicky rubbish.
Apple can't sell foldable phones, because Apple is an OEM.

That said, Samsung have probably made revenue on foldable phones than brands like Sony have made on phones since they bought in to Ericsson's devices, eons ago.

Figurative flex by owning a literal flex phone: this is just another iteration of phones with gold and diamonds on them.

The promise is usually that these kind of features trickle down but for whatever reason, technical or strategical, Samsung just wants to keep it as a premium novelty feature.

Which is disappointing since widespread flexible displays would be kind of nice to have but it does looks like these were many, many years out of the possibility but companies like Samsung are just finding a way to repurpose what should be prototypes into a super high end demographic and I honestly do not like that.
Early adopters always pay more. This isn't easy or cheap to make. No one else have even come close to creating foldable glass suitable for a smartphone.

I find it weird that a gadget community is always littered with people who hates true technology innovation. It's almost as if comment sections are frequented by people with ulterior motives? :D

Early adopters always pay more. This isn't easy or cheap to make. No one else have even come close to creating foldable glass suitable for a smartphone.

I find it weird that a gadget community is always littered with people who hates true technology innovation. It's almost as if comment sections are frequented by people with ulterior motives? :D

True, and it's got a lot more real estate than the S21 Ultra, but that also raises the point the Ultra is way too dear to start with. If the Fold 3 were current Ultra pricing it would be pretty good deal. The concept is excellent and I hope they have now greatly improved durability and reliability. Fold 2 was already big improvement over Fold. Maybe when Fold 5 is out I'll look at them as a viable option and hopefully they can continue to bring the price down some.

I’d be interested in this if Apple made it. Unfortunately Android is currently atrocious. Devices that have it are loaded with security holes and malware and won’t receive more than one update In their lifetime. They are also depressingly slow compared to even Apple devices from a few years ago.

True, and it's got a lot more real estate than the S21 Ultra, but that also raises the point the Ultra is way too dear to start with. If the Fold 3 were current Ultra pricing it would be pretty good deal. The concept is excellent and I hope they have now greatly improved durability and reliability. Fold 2 was already big improvement over Fold. Maybe when Fold 5 is out I'll look at them as a viable option and hopefully they can continue to bring the price down some.
WTF? The S21U arguably have the most complete set of cameras ever put in a phone. That ain't cheap to make. It also have every other flagship feature you'd get in a phone in this day and age. That, at a price point substantially lower than the competition. All this while also just doing it all better than the competition.

I think this video is pretty rubbish imo. The main selling point for me would be the total working area available and if it can act as one single screen, not what colour you can get it in. It's still not clear to me whether or not I can look at one document across the 2 screens and if so, what that total unfolded dimensions are.

I have serious doubts about its durability. Since foldable phones are new people might come across various problems when handling it.

Back