Check out the gameplay trailer for LawBreakers, Cliff Bleszinski's first game since leaving Epic

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Former Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski recently revealed new details regarding what will be the first game from his 40-person studio, Boss Key. Accompanying the announcement was a CG and live-action trailer which coincidentally, is the type he dissed when talking about the game a year ago.

Fast-forward a couple of days and we now have a proper gameplay trailer to enjoy.

LawBreakers is a five-on-five multiplayer first-person shooter set in the year 2105 following a catastrophic lunar event called The Shattering that caused the moon to split. This resulted in a massive earthquake that disrupted the gravity on Earth. Nevertheless, humanity pushed forward.

Things were fine… “then came the gangs.”

Cartels from around the world joined forces to create the Breakers, a group that use gravity manipulation and supplements to obtain near-superhuman abilities. The Breakers eventually found their way to US soil at which point police – Law – across the country unified to keep the peace.

The resemblance to Unreal Tournament is uncanny (specifically, the low-gravity Morpheus stage) although there do appear to be different classes of characters to choose from, each with their own skill set. The Unreal Tournament inspiration shouldn’t be a surprise considering Bleszinski’s 20-year stint with Epic.

No word yet on exactly when the game will drop outside of a broad 2016 launch window.

Permalink to story.

I'm about as excited for Cliff's next game as I'm am for the next episode of the kardashians. He gave the PC a huge middle finger starting with gears of war and that's the only game he was involved in since that's gotten any sort of notoriety. If this new game is a success, I doubt it would be from any copy and paste "inspiration" he could possibly inject. We can hope that the rest of the dev team can make up for what he lacks.

This is very reminiscent of Unreal Tournament, with all the aspects of newer shooters I dislike, looks like a pass for me. Also the premise is incredibly far fetched while borrowing from other games, shattered moon like destiny... At least Unreal Tournament didn't try to put a story behind why people need to kill each other, it was a tournament, nuff said. Now we need to have cartels with super human powers because the moon altered the gravity on the earth? What? Just call it what it is, a small team version of UT.

This is very reminiscent of Unreal Tournament, with all the aspects of newer shooters I dislike, looks like a pass for me. Also the premise is incredibly far fetched while borrowing from other games, shattered moon like destiny... At least Unreal Tournament didn't try to put a story behind why people need to kill each other, it was a tournament, nuff said. Now we need to have cartels with super human powers because the moon altered the gravity on the earth? What? Just call it what it is, a small team version of UT.

^ - and it looks very similar to Overwatch..

Exactly my first thoughts, Unreal Tournament, maybe a little of Destiny, and as others said, a little similar to Blizzard's Overwatch style of play, and a pinch of Titanfall.

Back