Chinese hackers attack Canadian government

Emil

Staff

Chinese hackers recently conducted a massive cyberattack on Canadian government websites and employees, giving them access to an abundance of highly classified federal information. The attack, first detected last month, was initially mentioned by the government as an attempt to access their computers. This is inaccurate, according to a number of anonymous sources cited by the CBC.

The hackers were actually successful in their attempts. Canada's two major economic departments, the Finance Department and the Treasury Board, were the main victims of the attack. After hackers gained control of the computers of senior government executives in the two departments, the hackers were unable to obtain password information to unlock entire government systems. Immediately after the attack, the government shut down all Internet access in both departments in an attempt to stop any information from being stolen and transmitted to the hackers. Unfortunately, it is unclear whether or not the hackers were able to access any other governmental computer networks.

In the past month, thousands of government employees did not have Internet access as officials attempted to fix the situation. Sources say the hackers used a spear-phishing attack: they gained control of Canadian officials' government computers, posed as executives, and sent out e-mails to technical staff from the departments to trick them into releasing key passwords that give access to several government networks. The hackers also sent other employees viruses that hunted down specific classified government information. It's still unclear how much classified information was stolen.

Permalink to story.

Hwy attack Canada lol. Anyways I hope to god governments around the world don't have there nukes connected to the internet.

Free penis enlargement pump! Yay! All I have to do is register on your site? Awesome! Why not put the same password into some random site I use to log onto my government computer and world of warcraft?

I have been "hacked" oh nos!

Sounds like these people got tricked by the same tactic people use to steal wow accounts... People stop using the same password for everything especially when signing up to random websites..

well.. almost in every single governments cyber-attacks in the last 2 years thy only say Chinese Chinese North Korean Chinese and in the same time thy say anonymous eh..

how hard is it for any average hacker to change his internet/network route etc... ?

i don't think China nor there hackers are that stupid to attack other governments directly and say "hey hey we are Chinese hackers blame it on us" O.o

Chinese hackers means they are from china, it does not imply they are with the chinese government, you assumed that.

Obviously this was just practice. A trial run to hack something worthwhile in the future. <3 canada

Treetops said:
Chinese hackers means they are from china, it does not imply they are with the chinese government, you assumed that.

You are absolutely right.. but honestly! I don't think that they are just bunch of people try'n to have fun or whatever.. in my personal opinion, there is something big behind this hack..!!

tekkaraiden said:
I didn't think we had anything good to steal.

well.. no matter how small or big the information you got in Canada is.. it is still considered a strategic location to to start ((something)) against America or whatever, if they have the Intention to..
speaking theoretically..

remember the saying 'don't judge a book by its cover'? yes we are not talking about books nor people's personality but what is inside that something we sees.. as we all should know, the responsible hackers could be from anywhere.. re-routing or not, these people are not only limited at creating security issues in cyber space but they have toyed around with people mentally.. ANYTHING, and i mean ANYTHING are not safe anymore on the internet and yet internet is what connects everything we have in our lives be it important or not..

So i would strongly suggest to all, do not rely on the internet on EVERYTHING anymore. not only it's dangerous, but it's mentally, psychologically, and physiologically torturing to think that one day.. just one day, everything you have is gone with a few clicks of button..

The Terminator scenarios enters now..

Guest said:
remember the saying 'don't judge a book by its cover'? yes we are not talking about books nor people's personality but what is inside that something we sees.. as we all should know, the responsible hackers could be from anywhere.. re-routing or not, these people are not only limited at creating security issues in cyber space but they have toyed around with people mentally.. ANYTHING, and i mean ANYTHING are not safe anymore on the internet and yet internet is what connects everything we have in our lives be it important or not..

So i would strongly suggest to all, do not rely on the internet on EVERYTHING anymore. not only it's dangerous, but it's mentally, psychologically, and physiologically torturing to think that one day.. just one day, everything you have is gone with a few clicks of button..

The Terminator scenarios enters now..

Then what the heck are you doing here?

Anywho... I'm waiting for China to hack China. Also we need some more helpful hackers XD

Only your fail cyber defense to blame. I bet every single Govt has hackers trying to get info from other countries. And I bet we US have them too. We dont get hacked easily =P

Back