Chinese prisoners forced to farm video game currency

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

According to a report by the Guardian, Chinese prisoners are being forced to slave away at MMORPGs. One such detainee claims he was one of 300 people required to play games such as World of Warcraft in 12-hour shifts. That time was spent generation in-game money which the prison guards sold to other players for real-world currency, earning them as much as $924 per day, according to the Guardian's source. Prisoners wouldn't receive any of that money and failing to comply resulted in punishment.

"If I couldn't complete my work quota, they would punish me physically. They would make me stand with my hands raised in the air and after I returned to my dormitory they would beat me with plastic pipes. We kept playing until we could barely see things," said the former inmate, referred to by the pseudonym Liu Dali. He said that prison bosses made more money forcing inmates to place games than performing manual labor, such as carving wood chopsticks and toothpicks or assembling car seat covers.

report chinese

If you're unfamiliar with the MMORPG scene, it's common for gamers in the US and EU to purchase in-game currency for real money. Instead of toiling away at the game, it can be more time efficient for gainfully employed players to trade a fraction of their real-world wages for in-game cash. On the flip side, laborers in less developed regions can earn a modest living by selling the digital money to players in countries with stronger real-world currencies. You could say it's a mutually beneficial arrangement.

This practice is largely associated with China, which reportedly accounts for 80% of all gold farmers. There are an estimated 100,000 full-time gold farmers in the country who earned nearly $2 billion in 2008, according to the China Internet Center. The Chinese government has tried to regulate the trade of virtual goods by making it illegal for such businesses to operate without a license, but Liu Dali believes there are still many prisons in the nation requiring inmates to play online games against their will.

Permalink to story.

Makes you wonder what sort of a screwed up world we live in. The Chinese are physically forced against their will to play WoW for hours upon hours a day and we've got fools over here in the west, hordes of morons subjecting themselves to it voluntarily.

Except in the rest of the world you don't get beat with pipes for under performing. Unless you have a mean wife.

You also don't have to deal with guards and crazy people in other countries.

Edit: There are plenty of crazy gamers else ware.

This is so surreal. Just the concept of paying someone else to play a computer game for you is weird enough, but to think that there is a prisoner somewhere who is being forced to play your PC for you...too weird.

I guess no different than someone making my shoes or shirt in a sweatshop somewhere, but somewhat more personal.

You're kidding, right? Forcing people to play WoW is humane? I consider that to be right up there with waterboarding.

You have two choices.

(1) Mine coal in a sweaty dark cave with dust in your lungs and in your eyes? or (2) sit infront of a computer and mine digital gold while listening to music?

Force labor is nothing new in prison camps. Choice 2 is ingenious BTW

yorro said:
You have two choices.

(1) Mine coal in a sweaty dark cave with dust in your lungs and in your eyes? or (2) sit infront of a computer and mine digital gold while listening to music?

Force labor is nothing new in prison camps. Choice 2 is ingenious BTW
yeah it might not be humane making them play wow for 12 hours straight but it is a hell of alot better than life threatening manual labor.

ihaveaname said:
Am I the only one who thinks that maybe, just maybe, the story isn't 100% legit?
have u ever played an MMORPG?

I doubt that these prisoners are actually playing for any entertainment value. Gold farming for 12 hours day after day sure doesn't sound like fun does it?

On the flip side something is seriously messed up when a computer game actually creates a virtual real world economy (is that an oxymoron?).

Guest said:
There are an estimated 100,000 full-time gold farmers in the country who earned nearly $2 billion in 2008
Who knew? Never even heard on gold-farming until now. Just going by those numbers, thats an average of $2,000 per person, not so impressive over a course of a year. Will keep my day job (of which i should be doing right now)

I remember a story of a China bloke a few months back who basically just dropped dead after 3 days of solid gaming in an internet cafe. You do have to wonder what it's doing for their mental health.

Better than physical labour?....I wouldn't say so.

'grinding' and 'farming' are not equal to 'playing'

'playing' implies some enjoyment - questing, parties, dungeons, etc
and for sure excludes plastic pipes (imo)

Back