Chinese video platforms cancel coverage of Apple's iPhone event without explanation

Pete Flint

The big picture: Apple's relationship with its large Chinese userbase has been fraught of late as the US government cuts ties with the Cupertino firm's major Chinese tech partners. Compounding this, a number of China's largest media groups who were slated to stream coverage of the iPhone 12 event this week dropped their broadcasts, seemingly without explanation.

On Tuesday, Apple hosted an online event with some big product releases and a production budget to match. Dusky timelapses set to music, 3D visuals to demo products with buzzwords like "computational audio," and an impressive lifesize Ikea dollhouse were all on display.

It's been reported, however, that viewers from China anticipating this launch were disappointed when a number of major Chinese social platforms dropped coverage of the event, seemingly without explanation.

Tension between Chinese firms and Apple has risen in the last few years, and recently the US president enacted an executive order that would prevent Apple from offering WeChat on its App Store. This app is lodged at the heart of social media in China, with over 1.2 billion monthly active users.

A recent Weibo poll of 1.2 million participants showed that 95 percent of Chinese users would give up their Apple device for another smartphone if it meant losing access to WeChat. Apple has pushed back against the White House, stating that this order will put serious financial strain on the tech giant.

Apple's official WeChat account advertised its live event, quoting five streaming partners for the big day, including Youku, iQuiyi, Bilibili, Tencent Video, and Weibo. Reporters from Bloomberg followed up with representatives of the latter four firms for comment about the dropped coverage, but they did not respond.

Permalink to story.

LOL

Well, Apple did start shifting production from China towards India.

Someday Americans will realize that China doesn't need America. China will make its money off the Africans, South Americans, South East Asians and everyone America has put into poverty with sanctions before they ever bow to America.

I'm not sure how long it will take for Americans to realize that 5 billion potential customers is more than 330,000,000.

I am very happy to see that America's sanctions can't do to China what they've done to Bolivia, Venezuela, Cuba, Iran, or other unfortunate countries - but ultimately China is going to liberate them all from America's grasp. Cryptocurrency will help too.

“... this order will put serious financial strain on the tech giant.”

Isn’t Apple the first trillion dollar company? And most of that is from their 30% App Store tax? Oh please, they’re just using people and other companies to get rich, and China has finally come to their senses. I wish all the best for Huawei to claim a similar role for everyone outside of the USA...

LOL

Well, Apple did start shifting production from China towards India.

Someday Americans will realize that China doesn't need America. China will make its money off the Africans, South Americans, South East Asians and everyone America has put into poverty with sanctions before they ever bow to America.

I'm not sure how long it will take for Americans to realize that 5 billion potential customers is more than 330,000,000.

I am very happy to see that America's sanctions can't do to China what they've done to Bolivia, Venezuela, Cuba, Iran, or other unfortunate countries - but ultimately China is going to liberate them all from America's grasp. Cryptocurrency will help too.
America is the 1st and 6th largest economy, the world's remaining superpower, and the protector of the world's shipping, as well as a dominating cultural force. China doesnt *need* america, but much of the wealth they partake in and require to keep their economy running is dependent on american sales.

Perhaps your CCP trainers forgot to tell you this, but south east asia HATES china. The vietnamese, japanese, koreans, indonesians, ece look down upon the chinese as locusts. And Africa? Africa cant sustain the economic mosnter that is china.

Also, are you not the same guy that salivates over his iphone and GPU purchases, both coming from American designers, and humble-bragging about your youtube channel, an american platform? Shoudlnt you be switching to chinese alternatives?

Also, if you think american foreign policy is bad, make sure you dont read up on belt and road, and the disasterous long term effects it will ahve on those african countries that china is pumping and dumping for resources.

US. Not America. US =/= America. America itself has been part of same unfortunate history we have been & needs to be liberated.
Pretty sure they are fine under their own control, and would tell some yank trying to determine their futures to DIAF.

Good ole China censorship...

what do you call USA when it force-closes it's market to China? Literally use American democracy and free market to FORBID Google and other private companies to work with China? Rainbows and democracy?

The pot calling the kettle black

what do you call USA when it force-closes it's market to China? Literally use American democracy and free market to FORBID Google and other private companies to work with China? Rainbows and democracy?

The pot calling the kettle black

It's called a trade war with a thieving IP stealing, tech stealing, communist, government news censorship, human rights violating country. That's what I call it. Since China is doing so awesome as some have suggested why you so bothered?

Perhaps your CCP trainers forgot to tell you this, but south east asia HATES china. The vietnamese, japanese, koreans, indonesians, ece look down upon the chinese as locusts. And Africa? Africa cant sustain the economic mosnter that is china.

Sounds like Fox News talking to me.

Please tell me: how long have you LIVED in Asia or Southeast Asia - and where?

Please tell me: how long have you LIVED in Asia or Southeast Asia - and where? ... Bold statement from someone who's probably never left home.
Not sure about him, but I've worked and lived in Asia, and there are few nations there where I haven't at least visited. He is absolutely correct about the animosity between most SE Asian nations and China. I could cite dozens of stories from my own personal experience, but if you bother to read even the most basic analysis of the region's géopolitique, you'll receive an avalanche of confirmation.

Human Rights violations LOL ... America wrote the book on that.
Snarky comments don't free even one of the two million Uighurs China has in concentration camps at present.

“... this order will put serious financial strain on the tech giant.”

Isn’t Apple the first trillion dollar company? And most of that is from their 30% App Store tax? Oh please, they’re just using people and other companies to get rich, and China has finally come to their senses. I wish all the best for Huawei to claim a similar role for everyone outside of the USA...
They are the first in the modern era yes. The Dutch East India Trading Company had a modern valuation of 9 Trillion. But then some people do not believe in "Adjusting for Inflation"

Back