Chrome files discovered in "first homegrown" Chinese web browser

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: China has been trying to move away from its reliance on foreign companies and produce more of its own technology—more so since the trade war with the US—but a local start-up that claims to have created the country’s first homegrown browser has been found to be using source files copied from Google Chrome.

Redcore, which was previously known as AllMobilize Inc., claimed its web browser was the only one to be fully made in China, and that it would break the United States’ “monopoly” on software. It even mentioned the browser’s “independent intellectual property rights.”

However, Chinese users discovered some surprising files in the Redcore browser’s installation directory, including ‘Chrome.exe’ and several image files of the Chrome logo. The Financial Times and China’s Caixin have verified the findings, with the former discovering parts of Chrome 49 being used in Redcore.

Company founder Gao Jing has admitted that Redcore is based on Chrome but defended the browser following a public outcry. “Redcore has Chrome [elements] in it”, she said. “But this is not plagiarism; rather, we are standing on the shoulders of a giant for our own innovation.” The option to download the Redcore browser has since been removed from the company’s website.

Redcore claims that its browser is used by parts of the Chinese government and state-owned companies, but the firm could face trouble after it raised $36.2 million in funding from investors, including "large listed companies and government customers,” a day before the discoveries were made. The latest round brings the total fundraising figure up to $60 million since 2013.

Using Chrome’s open-source elements isn’t the issues—other Chinese browsers use Chrome’s Blink engine. The problem is that Redcore failed to disclose this fact and promoted its browser as being fully homegrown, something that has angered many Chinese social media users.

Permalink to story.

How is this a surprise? The Chinese have been stealing ours and others technology for over a century and it's become clear this is one of those points they flatly refuse to stop. The only way to slow them down is to bait our technology with so many flaws, viruses, and "kill agents" they stop, and even then they will no doubt find a way to turn that technology around and use it against their enemies ......

They can't develop anything worth a d*mn on their own, so they continue to steal it from others.
It's how they work. If you can't figure that out by now, you need help.

It just softwares. America companies give China much better technology in exchange for cheap manufacturing.

They can't develop anything worth a d*mn on their own, so they continue to steal it from others.
It's how they work. If you can't figure that out by now, you need help.

That's how I do powershell scripts ;P

I'ts how everyone codes. But going to stackoverflow and copying a bit of code that someone posted as an answer to a question is completely different. When you get it from someone freely giving it, then it's no problem. But when it's taken without permission, then it's theft. When it's taken without permission and then used to compete with the original creator - that's when people really get worked up about it. China has done all the above.

And the ignorant sheep rip on Trump for standing up to the Parasitic Regime of Communists. For almost forty years they have rigged their economy to only allow for exports - and that includes their population!

How is this a surprise? The Chinese have been stealing ours and others technology for over a century and it's become clear this is one of those points they flatly refuse to stop. The only way to slow them down is to bait our technology with so many flaws, viruses, and "kill agents" they stop, and even then they will no doubt find a way to turn that technology around and use it against their enemies ......
Bro, brooo, whos gonna supply us cheap stuff?
I recently built a rigid tubing PC and I tell you, one Chinese rigid tubing was on average 5 bucks while its European alternative 15! I would never be able to afford this build without china!
And there are so many other things I simply wont buy if they are not priced like the yare coming from china.

The only original product that the Chinese can make is more Chinese. Anything else they copied from an original thinker elsewhere in the world!

Back