Chrome system/user level

This is my problem: "An administrator has installed Google Chrome on this system,
and it is available for all users. The system-level Google Chrome will replace
your user-level installation now."

I receive this message from time to time when I'm trying to start Chrome and after I close the message box nothing happens so I have to launch Chrome from the Start Menu. This message usually seems to pop up when I click on the desktop some program that connects to the Internet, Chrome being my default browser.

A while back I had to reinstall Chrome after it became disabled, I think by a Windows update.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and have adequate memory and disk space. I have searched for but not found any reference to this sort of thing on these forums.

It's not critical but it is most annoying. Is there a solution?

I know it's a bit of a draconian approach but Chrome is so quick to replace I'd try doing a complete uninstall of any possible instances and then do a clean reinstall. You can do the all user install again, but choose and only use that method. I'm not sure if you'll have to reinstall your extensions after you do this or if they're stored somewhere in your user profile, but it might be a good idea to move/trash those too.

Thanks for the suggestions. I took the advice and uninstalled Chrome then reinstalled it. It seems to run OK now although it appears to be a different version, which I find surprising as I keep it set to update automatically. Time will tell. I still don't understand that message I was getting...

Back