Chromebooks accounted for 21 percent of all notebook sales through November

Shawn Knight

Staff member

chromebooks microsoft windows laptop chromebook notebooks

If the planned rebellion against Microsoft Windows at next month's Consumer Electronics Show wasn’t enough to keep Redmond up at night, the latest notebook sales figures from The NPD Group will likely do the job. The consumer market research firm found Chromebooks accounted for 21 percent of all notebook sales and nearly 10 percent of all computer sales through November.

Elsewhere, tablets captured more than 22 percent of all personal computing device sales sold through the end of last month. Broken down further, Windows tablet sales nearly tripped compared to the year-ago period while Android tablet sales were up more than 160 percent. Looking at the bigger picture, however, Apple still dominated the market with their iPad accounting for 59 percent of the tablet market.

Stephen Baker, vice president of industry analysis at NPD, said the market for personal computing devices in commercial markets continues to shift and change. He noted that new products like Chromebooks and reimagined items like Windows tablets are now supplementing the revitalization that iPads started in personal computing devices.

The statistics reflect what we’ve been hearing from other outlets as well. Last week, Amazon published their holiday best sellers list where two of the top three laptops sold on the site were Chromebooks from Acer and Samsung (the third device was the ASUS Transformer Book).

For comparison, Windows notebooks accounted for 31.1 percent of all commercial preconfigured notebook sales during the same period, down from 42.9 percent a year ago.

Permalink to story.

Who is buying these things. I played with one, and I don't see the value.

I personally don't take notebooks seriously. Only good for web browsing (and my phone can also do that)

Edit: Maybe I was thinking of netbooks (the 9" and smaller screened ones). However, as a heavy PC user, I don't see the point in cheaping out with a notebook...

Last edited:
This was "US Channel Sales" which is only 14 million per year. World PC sales are around 300 million.

I personally don't take notebooks seriously. Only good for web browsing (and my phone can also do that)
Why? notebooks can do everything desktops can, except heavy gaming cause of smaller screen and less performance. Netbooks however are for web browsing.

Education is buying these things. More affordable than Mac laptop/desktops, more versatile than "iTouch", cheaper to own and support than PC's. These bridge that gap to 1-to-1 computing that schools desire. The one sticking point is finding the software titles which schools need to support Chromebooks. A golden opportunity for developers indeed. Once developers show up these will really take off.

Why? notebooks can do everything desktops can, except heavy gaming cause of smaller screen and less performance. Netbooks however are for web browsing.

Maybe he meant chromebooks and not notebooks in general. That would be more accurate.

Who is buying these things. I played with one, and I don't see the value.

The same people who are buying Chromecasts instead of more expensive and overpowered HTPC options maybe?

It's easy to forget that a massive majority of computer users out there are NOT US. Those of us who frequent sites like this one are typically more advanced users, with higher expectations and requirements than the typical consumer. To be honest, the Chromebooks are more than adequate for the limited functionality that most users expect: browse the web, check Facebook/Twitter, do some email, maybe watch Netflix or Youtube. They don't need a full-on computer with a complete OS for most of what they do, and can often accomplish everything with just their phone. But, when they want to actually type, on a screen that is larger, why buy a more expensive overpowered option? Tablet (with keyboard) or netbook/Chromebook almost always would do the trick.

I wonder how many people buy these things thinking they are laptops (Windows) and are confused when they get home and fire it up.

Hmmm... maybe I was thinking of netbooks (the 9" and smaller screened ones)

Whoa... that's disappointing figure in the headline...a fool is easily parted with their money. Dont get me wrong I am in no way bad mouthing Google's products... n

For a basic user they make sense but I would rather keep windows even in rt form it has more function and flexibility then the chrome os does. everyone I personally know that got one of these put ubuntu on it instead. With how cheap a windows 8 tablet runs you and a bluetooth keyboard I usually suggest that route or android/ ipad before a chromebook.

Every tune you take
Every move you make
Every hack you break
Every step you take
Google's watching you

Every single day
Every word you say
Every game you play
Every night you stay
Google's watching you

O can't you see
You belong to Googleee
How my poor Chromebook aches
With every step you take

Hmmm... maybe I was thinking of netbooks (the 9" and smaller screened ones)
I don't know what were you thinking but if you though about Netbooks than I agree. They are meant for cheapest internet browsing experience and I they do that job quite badly IMO.

I remember when many people in the past, me included, thought that Chromebooks were useless. But now, even though I do not own one myself, I see great potential for them in the future in schools and developing countries, or even for people who dont need a full-fledged PC.

For a basic user they make sense but I would rather keep windows even in rt form it has more function and flexibility then the chrome os does. everyone I personally know that got one of these put ubuntu on it instead. With how cheap a windows 8 tablet runs you and a bluetooth keyboard I usually suggest that route or android/ ipad before a chromebook.
It does appear that the best candidate for dual booting with ubuntu is the Chromebook Pixel but as that is around $1,000 it is not a cheap option. At the end of the day a touchscreen laptop preinstalled with Windows would work out cheaper.

Back