Chroming case parts

Wendig0

Ok, so I have an idea for a case mod, but I am unsure of how safe it is. Here's what I want to do. I plan on chroming the inside of my Cosmos S so that it has a very hard, and bright mirror polish to it.

The problem I am thinking about is that every different metal has a particular galvanic isotope that, when it comes in contact with a dissimilar metal, can cause those metals to corrode. My knowledge of this subject is very rudimentary though.

I know that some metals are considered "galvanic neighbors", though I'm no metalurgist, and wanted to know if there were any true chemistry geeks here that could tell me if a chrome case could negatively react with any of the metals found on a motherboard (copper, lead, silver, gold, and whatever else there may be...), mb standoffs (brass, nickel...), etc., or if it would be safe to attempt? :confused:

That would be probably the neatest looking interior of a case ever, however i have to ask, if you decided to do the reduction- oxidation, do you have access to what would be a small vat of acidified dichromate solution? cause if you do, i am going to send you my HAF 932 to electroplate ....cuz...I want one! :grinthumb

BTW, I will bet you that is SNGX see's this, he will be able to explain it in great detail for you.

That would be probably the neatest looking interior of a case ever, however i have to ask, if you decided to do the reduction- oxidation, do you have access to what would be a small vat of acidified dichromate solution? cause if you do, i am going to send you my HAF 932 to electroplate ....cuz...I want one! :grinthumb

LOL, Unfortunately I don't. I looked into purchasing a large kit once, for gold, nickel, and chrome plating, though it was WAY out of my price range (~$4K).

I found a reputable guy that will chrome the interior for $60 (he's charging me the same as if it were an automotive wheel).

I also toyed with the idea of having the interior gold plated/polished, but after looking at the cost of gold/oz., and crunching the numbers, I realized I just have very expensive taste and it "ain't gonna happen" as they say.

edit: Thanks for the heads up on SNGX. I look forward to any help I can get.

The reason that chrome is used so much, is that it's fairly inert once it's applied. (Well that and the fact that people like really shiny things). Getting it applied however, is a dirty, dangerous, smelly, and caustic business. Galvanic reaction would require that the two metals to be in contact. In short, I don't think that proximity counts toward it. One commonly occurring incidence of galvanism is seen in motorcycle engine cases, (aluminum alloy) and the steel screws that are used as fasteners. The effect is strong enough in this usage, that it sometimes necessitates the use of hammer activated impact screwdrivers to separate the parts. I'm sure that iron and aluminum always exhibit this effect, it's just that this is the one I'm always having to deal with. But as I said, this requires direct metal to dissimilar metal contact.

I would add that this should should be a decent, fairly thick gauge metal case. Chrome doesn't come out of the tank shiny, it gets a good, stout buffing. Hence, heat is produced and some force is necessary.

Well I haven't stripped her down to her skivvies yet, but I'm pretty sure she's a thick girl. I've seen some pretty cheap full tower cases, but coolermaster usually puts out quality goods.

Back