CID popups Internet Explorer 8 Vista - how to remove?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankiecat

Hi
I have a laptop that has become infected with some sort of popup problem, I have ran AVG v8 Free Edition, Spybot, Malwarebytes, SuperAdblocker and despite finding virus/adware etc (which has now been removed, including a rather nasty sounding one called Swizzor), the popups keep appearing whenever I use the internet - Please Help, its driving me mad!!

Attached is the logfile from HijackThis:

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

CID Pop Ups

I have run the 8 step process and still seem to be getting pop ups although initially do not seem as frequent. I have attached the logs as requested - any obvious problems? Much appreciate any guidance that you can give.

My Post

Hi Sibicks

I think you need to start a new post, the instructions were actually for me, I suspect they may give you a separate set of instructions as this is my post?

I am in the process of following the instructions now!

Cheers

Frankiecat

I have run the 8 step process and still seem to be getting pop ups although initially do not seem as frequent. I have attached the logs as requested - any obvious problems? Much appreciate any guidance that you can give.

You got rid of a lot of nasties. Is McAfee updating and running normally? If it was, I suggest you delete it and run Avast free Antivirus... If you are still getting popups, you may be still waiting for a major infection. Also, download and run free Advanced SystemCare, and CCleaner often

Hi Sibicks

I think you need to start a new post, the instructions were actually for me, I suspect they may give you a separate set of instructions as this is my post?

I am in the process of following the instructions now!

Cheers

Frankiecat

Hi FrankieCat,
The instructions are for you... and everyone else that may be helped by following them

Results

Ok thanks, I wasnt sure to be honest as I read another post when I first joined that said to start your own rather than use another post! Really appreciate your help, I have now followed all of the steps in your instructions.

When I ran AVG it found Swizzor again, please see below:

C:\program data\tick road move\qyfyjjmv.exe - Virus found Downloader.Swizzor - moved to virus vault Removed and Healed

I have also attached the three log files as requested.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers

Looks good,
now apply any missing Vista updates including Service Pack 2. If Windows update says you are "up to date" select "scan for updates" in the list to the left. Keep doing this until there are no more updates to apply

You got rid of a lot of nasties. Is McAfee updating and running normally? If it was, I suggest you delete it and run Avast free Antivirus... If you are still getting popups, you may be still waiting for a major infection. Also, download and run free Advanced SystemCare, and CCleaner often

TMagic650 Thanks for the prompt appraisal. So the next stage is to delete my McAfee and run avast. I suppose being a bit risk averse I would be reluctant to remove one of my McAfee subscriptions when it has served me Ok other than this problem to date. Please confirm this is what you are recommending. Also I have re-run CCleaner and Malwarebytes and all is clean.

The other thing that you might enlighten me on is that these pop ups are quite genuine and represent common and popular brands. The error seems to stem from my daughter accepting the sponsors option when doenloading messenger plus. So the ads are not objectionable just intrusive. It seems peculiar that they are so hard to remove.

If you are clean now make sure McAfee is up to date and scanning properly. I would suggest downloading and running Advanced SystemCare Free often along with CCleaner, so you can stay on top of things a bit better

Hi

I have installed Windows Vista Service Pack 2 and all the available updates, went online earlier and I am still getting pop-ups though, are there more steps for me to follow?
Thanks

Hi

I followed all of your instructions and still getting these annoying popups are there any further instructions to help me please?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back