Cis vs CCD scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

petert

Hello everyone!
I want to buy a scanner but I can't make up my mind about which technology should I choose (CCD or CIS). I will be using it to scan old technical books. What I found until now using Google is that CIS aren't suited for this kind of tasks because they have a poor field of focus, making it difficult to scan a thick book's gutter.
Now the informations I've found are a few years old - I was wondering if the CIS technology have advanced enough to compensate the poor field of focus. What do you say? Can I scan a thick book using a modern CIS scanner? And which one is faster? The CCD or a CIS scanner?

Best regards,

Peter

I have a CCD scanner, a Microtek i900. I love it for its features, including scanning books. But I will tell you that no matter which type scanner you buy, books are a problem. The larger and thicker, the more the problem with lack of focus in the gutter area. If I were you, I would consider looking for copies of your books and break them apart in order to scan. That way each page would lie flat and scan crisply. A bookbinder (if you can find one today) might have other less damaging suggestions. I have no experience with CIS scanners, so I can't help with the other portion of your question. Good Luck!
Jade Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back