Classic Doom trilogy gets modern console re-release

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: The re-release is a great way to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Doom and to prepare for Doom Eternal which drops on November 22 on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Windows PC and Google Stadia.

id Software during its QuakeCon 2019 keynote today announced it is bringing Doom (1993), Doom II (1994) and Doom 3 (2004) to “platforms that need more Doom.”

From today, the trio of Doom games that started it all are available on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch (Doom and Doom II are also now available on Android and iOS). Pricing is set at $4.99 each for Doom and Doom II and $9.99 for Doom 3. You can grab them from your respective system’s digital storefront.

The re-release of the original Doom includes the expansion pack Thy Flesh Consumed which adds nine additional maps to the game. You also get four-player local deathmatch and four-player local co-op on consoles.

Doom II also includes local four-player multiplayer and co-op as well as 20 new levels via The Master Levels, an expansion pack comprised of maps made by the Doom community and “supervised” by the developers. Doom 3, meanwhile, includes the Resurrection of Evil and The Lost Missions expansion packs.

Permalink to story.

Classic Doom games vanish, reappear on Xbox One with features missing

Wait—they removed online play?!

These new SKUs both add features and take features away. Both of the first two Doom games now come with native split-screen play in both deathmatch and co-op modes for up to four players, a first for an id Software-produced version of either game. However, Doom II's Xbox 360 version originally launched with a console-exclusive expansion pack, "No Rest For The Living," and that has not been brought back in today's new Xbox One version. Worse, both of the first two games have lost all of their online gameplay modes (deathmatch, co-op). From what I can tell, Doom 3's full "BFG Edition" package has been kept intact, complete with its pair of expansion packs.

More dubious "features" are listed in the Ars Technica article.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...es-from-xbox-one-store-to-sell-a-new-package/

I bet the Switch can't handle Doom3 with 60fps and especially not in a HD resolution xD Well maybe on medium settings lol.

DOOM is a good play through.

DOOM II is hard as ****.

Probably more challenging than Doom 2016 and DOOM 3 combined.

I bet the Switch can't handle Doom3 with 60fps and especially not in a HD resolution xD Well maybe on medium settings lol.

I think this might be an example of a messed up perspective. Where just because something is weak in the current day the perspective of some gets convoluted and they think it can't handle something that used to be complex many years ago.

You do know the hardware this game released on was much weaker than the Switch right?

The Switch's GPU is many times faster than the 6800ultra/x800xt of the Doom3 days. And lets not forget about the extremely slow P4 Chips that were forced to run Doom3. The Switch Walks all over a gaming machine from the mid 2000's with ease. Running Doom 3 on the switch is a cake walk.

You do know the hardware this game released on was much weaker than the Switch right?

The Switch's GPU is many times faster than the 6800ultra/x800xt of the Doom3 days. And lets not forget about the extremely slow P4 Chips that were forced to run Doom3. The Switch Walks all over a gaming machine from the mid 2000's with ease. Running Doom 3 on the switch is a cake walk.

Decent enough to be well playable? Yeah. Still a joke thou.

It looks like its running 1080p with the render resolution reduced to 70% lol. Textures are dramatically worse too than on the PS4. Anisotropic filtering is weak or disabled. No anti alising that I can see.

Its probably really not bad on a tiny screen. Hook it up to your TV and embrace the horror.

Oh and 44 FPS when you fire your gun. Rock solid 60 only when nothing is happening.

The Switch is so bad, it can't even handle Doom 3 from 2004, especially not when you fight a single zombie in that tiny level. Nintendo should have just made a controller to be hooked to your smartphone or make a bigger DS.

Last edited:

Decent enough to be well playable? Yeah. Still a joke thou.

It looks like its running 1080p with the render resolution reduced to 70% lol. Textures are dramatically worse too than on the PS4. Anisotropic filtering is weak or disabled. No anti alising that I can see.

Its probably really not bad on a tiny screen. Hook it up to your TV and embrace the horror.

Oh and 44 FPS when you fire your gun. Rock solid 60 only when nothing is happening.

The Switch is so bad, it can't even handle Doom 3 from 2004, especially not when you fight a single zombie in that tiny level. Nintendo should have just made a controller to be hooked to your smartphone or make a bigger DS.

I don't know but the "Nintendo should just have just made controller to be hooked to your smartphone" is such an ignorant comment. As ignorant as the Apple fans back in the day that Nintendo should just quit the console business and make Mario for the iPhone. Give up all the money they make on their IPs and systems sold.

As far as the port, it's running it fine. Much better than computers back in 2004, and widescreen. And like Doom 2016, will probably get an update to run even better.

You seem to have an emotional problem with Nintendo. A sort of resentment. Shame. Can you imagine not playing a game that you would have enjoyed because Nintendo made it. I would hate if I never discovered Metroid because Nintendo made it.

Hey, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

Unfortunately these console releases come with "login requirement" DRM;
Deal breaker for me. Sorry Zenimax, this make these a hard-core pass.

Back