Classic Star Trek will return in the new prequel series 'Strange New Worlds'

mongeese

Staff

CBS is taking Star Trek back to its roots. Mr. Spock, Captain Pike, and Number One return in Star Trek: Strange New Worlds for an optimistic, episodic new adventure.

Strange New Worlds will be the product of fan feedback on the two most recent Star Trek series, Discovery and Picard. It will begin where Discovery left off: the starship Enterprise led by Captain Pike, boldly going where no man has gone before. Ethan Peck will return as Mr. Spock, as will Anson Mount as Pike, and Rebecca Romijn as Number One. The three are set to have another decade of adventure together before Captain Kirk assumes command of the Enterprise, and the timeline of the original series begins.

The series will be written, produced, and directed by an ensemble of familiar faces. Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman, both pivotal in shaping Discovery and Picard, will resume their leadership positions. Adding a helping hand are Henry Alonso Myers, Jenny Lumet, Rod Roddenberry, Trevor Roth, Heather Kadin, Aaron Baiers, Akela Cooper, and Davy Perez. Yet despite sharing staff and actors, Strange New Worlds could have very little in common with Picard or Discovery.

“We’re going to try to harken back to some classical Trek values, to be optimistic, and to be more episodic. Obviously, we will take advantage of the serialized nature of character and story building. But I think our plots will be more closed-ended than you’ve seen in either Discovery or Picard,” Goldsman told Variety. “I imagine it to be closer to the original series than even DS9.”

Modern Star Trek is delivered in a format quite unlike any previous entries into the franchise. Discovery tries to disentangle dozens upon dozens of plot lines, and it makes for a gripping series, but one so dense with ideas that it can’t let the dust settle over the serenity of space to create that hallowed Trek atmosphere. Picard does nothing but chase that atmosphere. But its optimistic themes clash with dark content matter, the questions of morality that should define the series are ignored by the characters’ focus on action. An episodic Star Trek series could create a better balance by easing the long term tensions that accelerate the other shows to speeds faster than they can handle.

Nevertheless, a change in format is unlikely to draw in fans that have rejected Discovery and Picard. Fans of earlier Star Trek series commonly accuse ‘new Trek’ of compromising its storytelling by prioritizing populist ideologies over artistic merit. The counterargument is that Star Trek has always been progressive in theme and that rejecting ‘new Trek’ because of its ideas is a sign of personal political bias and not a change in the franchise. Star Trek’s politics are unlikely to change with Strange New Worlds, but unlike Picard, for example, which primarily focuses on discrimination towards synthetic lifeforms, the new show will deal with a variety of themes and that may be easier to digest.

Ethan Peck said, “I believe so much in what we’re doing. I don’t think that there’s ever been a better time for Star Trek, because of its ideology. It’s all about coming together and using the ways that we’re different from one another for the advantage of people as a whole.”

Strange New Worlds will be a CBS All Access exclusive when it releases sometime in the next couple of years.

Permalink to story.

Star Trek needs to decide what it's going to be.

Is it going to keep resurrecting the old characters: Pine as a new Kirk, Quinto as Spock, etc,etc...

Or is it going to keep introducing new characters and new scenarios in futher into the future scenarios?

Is it going to focus on politics and storytelling with world building or is it going to degenerate into colorful, violence with choppy camerawork and nonsensical populism?

When the quarantine first started, I rewatched

The low-budget, brilliantly executed Mandalorian was easily better than that copy-pasted, ridiculous high-budget, poorly-executed trash that hit the big screens: Episode 7, Episode 8 and Episode 9.

DS9 and VOYAGER reruns on BBC and then watched all of PICARD and finally: The Mandelorian. DS9, which was being run against
Babylon 5 (my favorite) was good stoytelling, good world building, good acting and great ideas. Voyager was typical Trek but had a few standout episodes, notably involving The Borg. I couldn't watch Discovery because it was totally foreign to me. I did like PICARD but I wasn't happy with the direction.

Now that we are in an era where entire movies can be thrown together with CGI, I find the new technology and new scenery of Star Trek movies and shows to be distracting and annoying. O how I wish we could return to the hand modeling and camera angle effects of the original Star Trek films.

It feels to me like the writers are trying to play to the new, younger, ADHD audience while trying now to alienate, the older, patient audience who wants to see actual acting, real effects and more careful camera work.

Last edited:
I know the writing is supposed to get better, but I'm still stalled our in the first or second episode of Discovery. Maybe I just need to read the Cliff Notes version and jump ahead.

Star Trek needs to decide what it's going to be.

Is it going to keep resurrecting the old characters: Pine as a new Kirk, Quinto as Spock, etc,etc...

Or is it going to keep introducing new characters and new scenarios in futher into the future scenarios?

Is it going to focus on politics and storytelling with world building or is it going to degenerate into colorful, violence with choppy camerawork and nonsensical populism?

When the quarantine first started, I rewatched DS9 and VOYAGER reruns on BBC and then watched all of PICARD and finally: The Mandelorian. DS9, which was being run against
Babylon 5 (my favorite) was good stoytelling, good world building, good acting and great ideas. Voyager was typical Trek but had a few standout episodes, notably involving The Borg. I couldn't watch Discovery because it was totally foreign to me. I did like PICARD but I wasn't happy with the direction.

Now that we are in an era where entire movies can be thrown together with CGI, I find the new technology and new scenery of Star Trek movies and shows to be distracting and annoying. O how I wish we could return to the hand modeling and camera angle effects of the original Star Trek films.

It feels to me like the writers are trying to play to the new, younger, ADHD audience while trying now to alienate, the older, patient audience who wants to see actual acting, real effects and more careful camera work.
Babylon was my favorite too, for the same reasons as you, but, I think the best SiFi series was Firefly, stupid FOX cancelled it in it's first season.

Started watching Original Series again, and I already finished TNG and these new shows aren't worthy of Star Trek name. Just a bunch of typical modern hollywood BS we already saw in a thousand shitty shows over the years.

Man I hope they do this right, but I doubt it. They managed to turn Jean-Luc into a schmuck and that says it all.

I would advise caution to anyone really thinking this will be "classic" Trek, because its clearly going to be Kelvin timeline. Even so, its sad that it will probably will never be on regular TV, which is run by people who only want to rehash CSI and terrible reality shows until the end of time. Of course I say this without having seen any previews of STW (or short films or whatever they were) because this is the first I've heard about it and there are no links in the article.

Psst:

Blog181.600x450_600x.png

Gave up on ST after the 2nd "reboot". They've milked the cow, similar to how Hollyweird
milked The Fast & Furious, Star Wars, The Marvel movies and pretty much any movie that has
2-3 sequels. Hell, I even gave up on the James Bond movies after Daniel Craig came along.

I have not seen Discovery or Picard, but I plan to sometime after the libraries in my region open again - I'll borrow the disks.

I just got through DS9 on Netflix after having given up on it after about a season of it when it first aired. IMO, it had pretty much no depth to it. Some of the episodes were painful to watch, IMO. I will never watch DS9 again.

Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Starczynski claimed to have pitched Bablyon 5 to Paramount before he ended up doing it on his own through Warner Brothers. Starczynski also claimed that DS9 was the result. The stories of the two shows are vastly different - if it can even be said that DS9 had a story to it. The one thing I note is that some of the names are the same, Dukat, and the alien race the Breen for instance. I've seen Babylon 5 many times through, and at some point, I will watch it again. IMO, DS9 is drivel in comparison to Babylon 5.

I have my reservations about this new show. I will wait and see what people say about it.

I am far from a Trekkie, so I do not get hung up on Trek cannon. I'll watch anything that has a good story line. IMO, DS9 really did not even have that.

I just started Voyager after also having given up on that after a season or two when it first came out. I just hope that I don't find Voyager as dismal as DS9.

I did watch the last two seasons of Enterprise, and I thought that they were decent. I might rewatch it at some point.

There is so much content out there that it is impossible to watch it all.

The anime series "Avatar: The Last Airbender" just came to Netflix. I plan to watch it, and my wife says she is interested in watching it, too, which is rare for her to watch anything animated. However, with over 214,000 ratings on IMDB and an overall rating of 9.2, I hope it is as good as so many say it is.

One thing I really liked was Netflix's Voltron. IMO, it comes close to or even exceeds Babylon 5 - though there were a few dog episodes; I plan on watching it again at some time, so I may think differently about those episodes. I'll just say that it is not for everyone, though.

Anyway, I'm off topic.

So the same peole who messed up ST with Discovery are supposed to launch a new series based on the feedback of fans they could not care less about ?

Sure....

The thing about Star Trek is that it was progressive but humanist and not judgemental, populist and one sided, plus going for substance and storytelling over flashy optical effects.

The Orville shows how it's done right.

If they are going to try a prequel again I hope this time they get it right. I want the bridge to look like it is supposed to, I want Klingons to be smooth forehead like they are supposed to be, I want them to fix the enterprise model, right now the physical details make it the size of a Galaxy class ship, not the size of a Connie.

Sure update it somewhat but I want it to feel like classic trek, let us investigate a planet of Nazis, or bump into a Greek god. Maybe read what DC Fontaine wrote and actually understand it. Look at Roddenberries vision and stick to it. If they can't do that, then they shouldn't even try.

If they want to get it right hire Brandon Bragg's or Rick Berman as a consultant.

...[ ]...The thing about Star Trek is that it was progressive but humanist and not judgmental, populist and one sided, plus going for substance and storytelling over flashy optical effects...[ ]...
"Star Trek", the original series, predates, "Star Wars" the original movie. Since ILM pioneered all those "flashy optical effects". Maybe they didn't use them because they didn't have them to use. And then there's the budgetary considerations when you have to put on a show on a weekly basis.

Star Trek series premiered 1966. The oriuginal Star Wars movie's release date was 1977.

You're right about one thing though, Star Trek did touch on hot button social issues, decades before millennials imagined they were the first to do so. ;)

Last edited:
I hope they don't force or change to much just to put some of the genre and race issues. Like, IMO, they insinuate with picard and data at the end of start trek picard.

"Star Trek", the original series, predates, "Star Wars" the original movie. Since ILM pioneered all those "flashy optical effects". Maybe they didn't use them because they didn't have them to use. And then there's the budgetary considerations when you have to put on a show on a weekly basis.

Star Trek series premiered 1966. The oriuginal Star Wars movie's release date was 1977.

You're right about one thing though, Star Trek did touch on hot button social issues, decades before millennials imagined they were the first to do so. ;)
Just look at the crew, particularly the bridge crew. Another thing that was special at the time - we actually discussed Star Trek in English class - is that the Captain (a military officer) had doubts and was not always right.

Yes, throughout its history the various Star Trek series touched on many issues, but never in a preachy manner.

I hope they don't force or change to much just to put some of the genre and race issues. Like, IMO, they insinuate with picard and data at the end of start trek picard....[ ]....
Hey, Data is basically a space age dummy, and can mimic any human voice, including Picard's. Which leads to the inevitable private role play moments between them, in which Picard plays the ventriloquist, and has Data sit on his lap.... :scream: ? :poop: [Fade to black, segue into commercial]

And now a word from our sponsor, Descovy. Hey y'all , step up and prep up!

Last edited:
Just look at the crew, particularly the bridge crew. Another thing that was special at the time - we actually discussed Star Trek in English class - is that the Captain (a military officer) had doubts and was not always right.

Yes, throughout its history the various Star Trek series touched on many issues, but never in a preachy manner.

Yep biggest flaw with the newer trek, it feels like I'm in diversity training while watching it, it's also why certain episodes of TNG I find unwatchable, but Picard and to a lesser extent Discovery are very preachy, and it's made very clear only the evil bad guys disagree, they've lost the ability to allow dissenting viewpoints as being welcome. Take the TNG episode with the no gender race, Picard didn't tell the crew they where evil for their feelings about it, he understood some people feel different, while the older Picard suddenly finds anyone who disagreed to be evil and the show makes that clear.

Yep biggest flaw with the newer trek, it feels like I'm in diversity training while watching it, it's also why certain episodes of TNG I find unwatchable, but Picard and to a lesser extent Discovery are very preachy, and it's made very clear only the evil bad guys disagree, they've lost the ability to allow dissenting viewpoints as being welcome. Take the TNG episode with the no gender race, Picard didn't tell the crew they where evil for their feelings about it, he understood some people feel different, while the older Picard suddenly finds anyone who disagreed to be evil and the show makes that clear.
Exactly. The Orville really does it right and is imho the proper heir to TNG (although my favorite was Voyager).

When I first watched discovery I was blown away by the visuals. Really wowed me. But after watching a few eps, I just found it irritating and not feeling like Star Trek at all. I have nothing against trying something new - DS9, Voyager and Enterprise all did and were not like TNG, but they still felt like Trek.

Exactly. The Orville really does it right and is imho the proper heir to TNG (although my favorite was Voyager).

When I first watched discovery I was blown away by the visuals. Really wowed me. But after watching a few eps, I just found it irritating and not feeling like Star Trek at all. I have nothing against trying something new - DS9, Voyager and Enterprise all did and were not like TNG, but they still felt like Trek.

Because they accepted men have flaws, but those flaws don't make them evil. Racism for instance was targeted with pity and understanding, they didn't agree with it but they attempted to understand and help them overcome, plenty of examples in trek of that, but nutrek just paints everyone as evil while not attempting to understand or help people not feel that way.

Back