Clean Install Win 8.1

Wobwill

Hi All,

thanks in advance for your help with this.

I'm trying to install win 8.1 from a dvd onto my home built PC. The specs are as follows:

core i3-4350
mobo: Asus H81I-plus
Ram: Corsair GSKill RJ6 8Gb (2x4Gb)
HDD: Toshiba SSHD 500Gb Hybrid (connected via SATA 3)

I am using an external DVD drive connected via USB 2 to install Win8.1. I have keyboard and mouse also connected via USB.

The BIOS (UEFI?) is set to 'optimized defaults'

The PC is out of its case at the moment and is connected to the internet on a wired connection.

I keep running into problems with Win 8.1 being able to access the SSHD and write the various partitions to it. I've used diskpart to clean, format as GPT, clear readonly attributes all to with no resolution.

I'm currently at the partition section of the install process and have 2 partitions (System and Primary). I've tried to format Primary but get error code 0x80070057.

I've been at this for 2 days now and am starting to hit a brick wall. Any help would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

Will

Hi All,

I was eventually able to install Win 8.1 by connecting the SSHD to a SATA 2 port rather than a SATA 3 port. I have no idea why this worked.

I am currently installing drivers and utilities for the mobo. When this is done I'll reconnect the drive to a SATA 3 port.

best wishes.

I've finished installing the drivers and utilities. Still not able to boot via SATA 3. I've emailed asus asking for a fix. In the meantime will continue to use SATA 2.

Any advice or thoughts from people here would be greatfully received.

Check the Asus website for a BIOS update for the motherboard. This may solve the problem, or it may not, but it wont hurt to update the BIOS if one is available.

The SATA 3 slot sounds like it faulity. stay with the 2 slot if the BIOS update does not fix it.

Back