Clean-shaven, stubble and work

Mikey_Gore

What are your thoughts of stubble at work?

First of all let me tell you that I don't especially grow a beard or a mustache. I shave at least once or twice a week, as it doesn't grow very fast. The problem is I can't shave everyday, I end up cutting myself and fail to get that smooth shave.

So if a company is against mustache and beard, does that mean it has to be clean shaven? Or could it mean that it should be be well trimmed and clean looking even if you do have a beard? Does it mean that no facial hair should be visible at all times? It's a bit difficult for me to bring this up now.

I am bit confused. I am not in the food business. Rarely if any see any clients, better said none. It is a desk job. So why would the slightest bit of facial hair bother anybody. I am guessing it's their disgusting ego demanding respect again. They probably think everything is about them.

I think that a little stubble is ok - historically, it has been normal to burn it off after the harvest was in, but now we tend to use it as a mulch, more organic, less polluting, keeps the environmentalists happy.

I used to have a very heavy beard. But then I developed an auto-immune disease (disorder?) and have very patchy, if any hair on my head and its spreading elsewhere... So since it is patchy, I have to shave my head and face every other day or so otherwise it looks pretty odd (used to have to shave daily, my 5 o'clock shadow occured at noon). What are you shaving with or doing that you are getting cut all the time? I suspect you just need a different razor.

Edit - to answer the question - I personally don't care about stubble. But if your employer does, regardless of how pedantic it seems, then do what they want. Jobs are hard to find now, would be a shame to lose yours over something minor that you have control over. Then again, I need a job, maybe if you lose yours I can take your place :D

Back