Clicking on link in e-mail (Outlook 2003) only opens new browser window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

1. I'm using an old Dell Latitude D800 laptop
2. Running XP Pro SP3
3. Using Office 2003

Issue: When I click on a link in an e-mail (Outlook 2003) it used to open a new tab in Firefox (3.08) and load the "linked" web page. Now clicking on the link opens a second Firefox browser without loading the page.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Elliot

Check the default browser setting> make sure FF is set as default:

Tools> Options> Advanced> General tab> System Default section> CHECK 'always check to see if Firefox is the default'> Check now> if it isn't check YES to be the default.

Control Panel> Internet Options> Programs tab> UNCHECK 'always check to see if IE is the default'> Apply> OK.

Bobbye: You nailed it!

Bobbye,

You beat me back to the board. I made IE my default browser and all was OK. Then I switched back to make Firefox the default - and e-mail links are now leading to correctly opened pages!

Many thanks for the quick - and correct - response. I don't know how it works (and, for the moment, don't care).

Thanks again.

Best wishes,

Elliot

You're welcome. Just keep in mind that the default selection s usually the best place to start when the link don't open where they should. The exception would be a redirect which is from malware. But the description would have been different.

Are you liking Firefox? I've been using it since it first came out in Final version about 4+ years ago. I cringe if I'm forced to use IE but fortunately that is very seldom.

A tip> not that you asked, but based on the many logs I see with Tracking Cookie and my own experience, Firefox has 2 add-on that are a must:

AdBlock Plus: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865
Easy List: http://easylist.adblockplus.org/

I use them both.

Firefox vs IE

Bobbye,

I've been using Firefox for years and due use the add-ins you've recommended. Basically, I use IE for Microsoft Updates (when I want to initiate) and for rare occasions, such as now, where switching from FF to IE seemed to rest a (needed) default that carried over when I made FF the default browser again.

Thanks again for the help!

Best wishes,

Elliot

I'm glad you've found the add-ons helpful. I just got fussed at for saying "must", but in this case, I think it's appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back