Clicking on My Computer freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habylab

After clicking on my computer (Under Start) I experience a freeze for 10 seconds. A freeze, as I My mouse wont move. Not virus related as I have checked all ready. Only started to do it recently.

This usually a sign of a faulty drive, as noted in My Computer

ie, It could be a CD or DVD Drive, Floppy Drive, or even a USB drive plugged in

You will need to eliminate (detach) each drive in turn, to see which Drive in My Computer is causing it
Hopefully not C Drive !

I have a usb HDD plugged in. It has my paging file on it. Unplugging that doesn't fix it... How can I test without the CD drive?

EDIT: Found it in computer management. Doesn't do anything. Its getting better though (Not related to disabling). Before The mouse stuttered when moving, now it moves freely but I can't use it.

Page File on external USB hard drive, that's a newy
I think I would prefer to have Page File set to 50Meg on min and max entries only, instead of that idea.
Located on your system drive only, not USB (I don't think it's very fast on USB, actually I've never tried it)

Anyway your ~70Gig (which is likely 80Gig) hard drive is possibly the fault here
You might want to try backing up and re-installing Windows clean, especially with a recent unresolved Malware infection.

Try that ;) I would

In that case you could bring your PageFile up to 3000Meg (basically 3Gig, but you actually write 3000) in both Min and Max fields.
This are (PageFile adjustments) is never set in concrete, ie it's a matter of trying different values with sometimes subtle performance increases.
But in all cases, it should be on your internal drives, ideally a secondary internal HardDrive, or just C drive for laptops or computers with only one drive (internally)

The absolute min is 50Meg (as some programs will fault with 0Meg)
But I just said above 3000, are you reading what I post?

Yes, sorry I was wondering whether the minimum would have changed, what with me forgetting to change my computer specs.

At the moment, 3057mb max and 50mb min on my internal hard-drive.

But I just said above 3000, are you reading what I post?
I think you better read what I write

I've already answered your last question!
Something about Min and Max being the same

These posts are very wasteful if I must continually repeat myself. This repeating has happened minimum 3 times in this thread

I repeat, please read the thread
OK that's minimum 4 now :p

I'm not answering any re-worded repeated question by you any more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back