Cloning a hdd in XP new drive gets message Missing Operating System

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Sony VGC RB38G runs Windows Media Center 2005 Xp, the hdd is orginal still, and is fuctioning yet and is only 250GB. I bought a 500GB Seagate Barracuda and used the Seatools to Clone, yet it will not start. I can see it in My Computer as drive F and I can see in the BIOS.

Any help here???

So you cloned the 250GB to 500GB. So does the 500GB have XP on it or are you just using it as a additional storage. You might want to do that. Leave the 250GB as the Primary C: then have the 500GB as archive media storage. There you can have all your music, pictures, music for Media Center 2005. This way you don't have to clone the HDD.

C: 250GB (OS/Programs/MCE)
D: 500GB (Media)
E: DVD/CD

500 hdd

I was hoping to use the cloned 500GB drive as the main since, I hope the cloning would have also copied the XP over. I see files on this new drive and would consider yet another new 500 Gb drive for back up. I am worried the orginal drive is 7 - 8 years old that it will go bye bye sometime.

@macharia: change some settings in the bios. If it doesn't work, start a new topic.

@ghsheede: Try cloning the disk with another program, to a 250 gb partition on the new disk, which you'll enlarge with something like Gparted or similar.

If you clone 250GB onto a 500GB only 250GB will be use on 500GB thus leaving an space for another partition that you can format under Windows. Or using Boot disc with Fdisk/Format. Or Windows XP setup can make additional format partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back