[Closed] I need a program that will help block bad websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinders

Is there a free program I can install that will help block bad websites in either IE or FireFox. It should warn that the website is suspect, but it should allow access to the site if the user insists he visit the site, and hopefully the program would automatically update its "bad" list with no help from the computer user.

I'm trying to help a couple of newbie computer users from making newbie mistakes, and I can't be there all the time to help them out.

Another vote for WOT- the Web of Trust:
The Web of Trust (WOT) add-on is a safe surfing tool for your browser. Traffic-light rating symbols show which rate the site for Trustworthiness, Vendor Reliability, Privacy, Child Safety.Your online email account – Google Mail, Yahoo! Mail and Hotmail is also protected.

Every time you do a search and the screen comes up with the sites, they will have the rating light:
Green (2 shades)> Good to go.
Amber/Yellow> use Caution,
Red> not advised.

If you want to link to another site from the page you're on o another, WOT will give you an Alert that the site is known for fraudulent entries, unreliable or other and the site won't load. I have never overridden a Warning, but I would guess there is an override.

But please tell you 'newbies' that no matter how much security they have, the first defense for security is always the user!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back