[Closed] Win32/heur virus infecting my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night, my AVG virus scan alerted me that I am infected with the win32/heur virus. This was AFTER I tried to log into my online banking and saw that my card numbers and passwords were gone. I didn't know the reason why they disappeared so I filled in the numbers to gain access to my accounts. Now I see that I've got the win32/heur virus and am so FREAKED out! What do I do now? Is it too late? Have I compromised my bank info? My credit card number is also in my online banking info. Please help me! I haven't slept a wink and have been up all night trying to google a solution.

I did a full system scan this morning and the virus didn't show up but I know it's around because my computer is very slow and even to get online on the internet, it takes forever.

As a precaution call your bank and advise them of the problem as soon as possible as in now. Your credit card customer service is usually open 24/7 but I'm not sure about the regular part of your account. You will likely get new account numbers for your bank account and credit card. Use another computer for any secure online transactions until this one is cleaned. If you don't have access to another PC, then you are stuck for awhile. Can't be helped.

This thread will be moved to the Virus and Malware forum to help you clean your PC.

Welcome to TechSpot! (Thank you Mailpup.)

I'll help you find the malware- if any. AVG recently put out an update which caused all their users to be alerted to Win32/Heur virus. It was incorrectly identifying a legitimate process as malware. Eventually, they issued another update that 'fixed' this problem.

So the first thing you need to do is make sure your AVG has gotten the most recent update. Follow the advice about changing passwords and checking online financial transactions. This should be done as soon as possible so we can see if the system is infected. Win32/Heur is a very real virus and occasionally the finding by AVG can indicate a more serious infection. Then do the following:

Please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.

Sorry I haven't gotten back on here! I am heading out for holidays this morning and won't be back for 2 1/2 weeks. I wish I would've seen this message even yesterday, I would've been able to perhaps try something. Stupid me, I'm not that computer literate, although I do understand some. And now after reading your reply, I know I've really screwed things up. I think I've infected my computer even worse now. Example: I hooked up my golf GPS to download some courses and it kept failing, failing, failing to load. Eventually, it infected my GPS and now that's toast. I'm soooooo upset!

As soon as I get back, I will do what you recommend..........I hope it's not too late!!!! Thank you for your help so far. I will repost. Hopefully my computer won't be dead by then.

The message was posted 5 days ago. If you were subscribed to the thread, you should have seen it.

Since you will be gone for an extended time, I am going to close this thread. But I advise you -again- to take security precautions with your passwords and online financial transactions.

If you still have malware related problems when you return, please start a new thread in the Virus and Malware forum. Run new scans using the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.

Please note: The finding of the Win32/Heur by AVG can be:
1. A False Positive
2. An indication of another, more serious and corrupting infection such as the Virut file infector.
3. A mixture of malware

None of the above can be determined without running the scans and leaving the logs for us to review.
Also note: Any movable drives connected to an infected computer can become infected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back