Cloudflare rejects demands to cancel its services in Russia

Polycount

Staff
In context: It would be a massive understatement to say the rest of the world's relationship with Russia has become 'strained' in recent weeks. Following an unprovoked invasion into Ukraine by its larger neighbor, countries all over the globe have slapped Russia with unprecedented sanctions, and many major American corporations have followed suit.

Oil giants like Shell have now refused to purchase Russian fuel, and fast food chains like McDonald's have elected to close all the restaurants they've opened in Russia. Even tech giants are joining in -- with a few notable exceptions, such as Cloudflare. Despite public pressure, Cloudflare CEO Matthew Prince refuses to disable access to its services in Russia following a round of discussions with "government and civil society experts."

Cloudflare, for the unaware, is best known for providing websites and web services with protection against DDoS attacks, hackers, bot swarms while improving site load times and caching for ordinary users (among other things).

Right now, Cloudflare still provides its services to Russian citizens and businesses. However, it blocks access for entities affiliated with Russian financial institutions, influence campaigns, and government organizations related to Donetsk and Luhansk.

Prince explained why it refuses to shut off access to those first two groups in a lengthy blog post published on Sunday. In it, he notes that "Russia needs more Internet access, not less." He elaborates as follows:

As the conflict has continued, we've seen a dramatic increase in requests from Russian networks to worldwide media, reflecting a desire by ordinary Russian citizens to see world news beyond that provided within Russia.

We've also seen an increase in Russian blocking and throttling efforts, combined with Russian efforts to control the content of the media operating inside Russia with a new "fake news" law.

The Russian government itself, over the last several years, has threatened repeatedly to block certain Cloudflare services and customers. Indiscriminately terminating service would do little to harm the Russian government, but would both limit access to information outside the country, and make significantly more vulnerable those who have used us to shield themselves as they have criticized the government.

In short, Prince fears that terminating Cloudflare's functionality in Russia "indiscriminately" would lead to fewer Russian citizens seeing past the propoganda and put those same citizens at risk of government reprisal should they choose to fight back digitally. Indeed, Prince goes on to say that Russias's government would actively "celebrate" Cloudflare's shutdown in the country.

Overall, the Cloudflare crew (or at least its leadership team) believes providing average Russians with a more "open, private, and secure internet" is more important than punishing the country as a whole, and will ultimately do more good for Ukraine.

Even if Prince's beliefs are well-founded, Cloudflare will undoubtedly continue to receive pressure from the public and Ukrainian officials until its Russian services are canceled outright. Whether or not Cloudflare can withstand that level of heat long-term remains to be seen.

Regardless of what Cloudflare or any other individual corporation does, we hope the conflict in Eastern Europe comes to a peaceful end sooner rather than later.

Permalink to story.

The inescapable reality is that very little of the hardships western companies are placing on Russia will impact Putin and his cronies directly. But that's not the goal. The goal is to create the same kind of economic hardship that brought about the previous revolution in Russia in hopes of causing a new one. The west cannot be an aggressor in any declared military action against Putin - they'll never give him the justification he wants. Instead, he's being given two options, the first being to watch his nation's economy crumble as the entire world leaves it isolated. Not even China will come to Russia's rescue because that's how you convince the west that sending all their manufacturing to China was a terrible mistake that needs corrected ASAP. Option two is to back down and suffer real humiliation for the first time since his precious USSR fell apart under the weight of its own bellicose stupidity. Some would say there's a third option - direct nuclear blackmail. that's not really an option, however, because there is high probability that many if not most of his generals would refuse to carry out orders to launch missiles. It would also guarantee Russia would be subject to the largest invasion since D-Day, and as the world now realizes, Russia has been a paper tiger whose only tactical advantage is a willingness to target civilians. Ask ISIS how that worked out.

He don't need to launch a missile start a nuclear war. There are bombs that can be dropped plus he now controls 2 nuclear plants. He don't need a general, he has loyalist that will do the job.
Will he do anything, most say no but if he is a madman or dying, he could very well do something stupid. All the World will do is sit back n watch. But don't be surprised by what comes next, no one should.

I'd be more worried about the West, huge amounts of debt, not much production capacity, dependent on Russia for various resources.

These sanctions may well backfire.

Just to stay a bit more on topic, I don't actually disagree with cloudfare: With Russia now being effectively back into full isolation is not going to be long before Putin puts up his own firewall to block cloudfare *anyway*

Remember that this isn't likely to be used by many of the truly wealthy and influential people who can probably afford to just go on satellite internet connections if they need to so this really would just target the general population which we should remember, almost universally oppose the war and being forced back into the Stalinist days of cultural and economical isolation and modern gulags for anyone who protests so demonizing the actual civilian population with punitive measures like this would serve no purpose.

Just to stay a bit more on topic, I don't actually disagree with cloudfare: With Russia now being effectively back into full isolation is not going to be long before Putin puts up his own firewall to block cloudfare *anyway*

Remember that this isn't likely to be used by many of the truly wealthy and influential people who can probably afford to just go on satellite internet connections if they need to so this really would just target the general population which we should remember, almost universally oppose the war and being forced back into the Stalinist days of cultural and economical isolation and modern gulags for anyone who protests so demonizing the actual civilian population with punitive measures like this would serve no purpose.

Yeah, I agree. If it can open the minds of the civilians and help start an uprising I'm all for it.

I'd be more worried about the West, huge amounts of debt, not much production capacity, dependent on Russia for various resources.

"various resources" - it's mostly just fossil fuel (oil, gas, coal), wheat and some metals.

The inescapable reality is that very little of the hardships western companies are placing on Russia will impact Putin and his cronies directly. But that's not the goal. The goal is to create the same kind of economic hardship that brought about the previous revolution in Russia in hopes of causing a new one. The west cannot be an aggressor in any declared military action against Putin - they'll never give him the justification he wants. Instead, he's being given two options, the first being to watch his nation's economy crumble as the entire world leaves it isolated. Not even China will come to Russia's rescue because that's how you convince the west that sending all their manufacturing to China was a terrible mistake that needs corrected ASAP. Option two is to back down and suffer real humiliation for the first time since his precious USSR fell apart under the weight of its own bellicose stupidity. Some would say there's a third option - direct nuclear blackmail. that's not really an option, however, because there is high probability that many if not most of his generals would refuse to carry out orders to launch missiles. It would also guarantee Russia would be subject to the largest invasion since D-Day, and as the world now realizes, Russia has been a paper tiger whose only tactical advantage is a willingness to target civilians. Ask ISIS how that worked out.
Careful with the paper tiger. You could have a surprise. Ask the Nazis in WW2.

Yeah, I agree. If it can open the minds of the civilians and help start an uprising I'm all for it.
Sadly no uprising will happen. Russian mentality doesn't work like that. If you punch Russia they will become one fist. Ask Germany about that. They perfectly know.

I agree with you. EU and I would say the nations in the West are actually crumbling. Crumbling under disunity and debt that they could never repay. US sits on a pile of debt that they have no intention to repay and instead raise their “debt ceiling” year on year. Why call it a ceiling when they can simply just approve to “increase” with no repercussions? You don’t need Russia to start a war because at the rate we are going, it’s a matter of time a severe war will break out. Now it’s just civil war where you see mass protests here and there.

If anyone thinks we aren't in war with Russia... You a fool. We have been in war with Russia for years. Cyber wars being the main one the US is involved. For anyone saying US shouldn't get involved because it's not our problem. It is our problem, because we already starting to feel the problem here at home. And if our main Allies are at war or getting affected, you best believe US will be there fighting by their side (Germany, France, UK)

The US supply lethal weapons not just to Ukraine but all of Europe. Not only have the US been in this War, they've been here always. The World looks on affraid of nuclear war when in fact it had always been there, always been threat. You can't be affraid of someone's threats. You have to stand up to Tyrants. Letting genocide happen is simply wrong, thats no longer war. Can't be allowed to continue.

If anyone thinks we aren't in war with Russia... You a fool. We have been in war with Russia for years. Cyber wars being the main one the US is involved. For anyone saying US shouldn't get involved because it's not our problem. It is our problem, because we already starting to feel the problem here at home. And if our main Allies are at war or getting affected, you best believe US will be there fighting by their side (Germany, France, UK)
That is a nuclear war and the end of humankind. There will be no D day in Russia or something with conventional weapons. When Russia detects that their territory is in danger, atomic bombs will start to fly directly to USA and Europe. Russia will disappear as well as USA and Europe and the radioactivity will damage the rest of the world in unspeakable ways. People are not conscious that Russia has around 6500 atomic missiles with an average of 1000 kilotons (15 for Hiroshima). USA and Europe (plus China) have other 6500. WW3 will be nuclear and final. Is Ukraine worth an Armageddon for the rest of the humankind? I think it is NOT. War should be kept locally in Ukraine and that's it. Sad news!

And when Putin decided on his next target? And the next? And the next? At some point the rest of the world will have to say enough is enough and put a stop to him.

Either that or learn to speak Russian and do as you're told.

Considering the state of humanity (or lack thereof)...blowing up the entire world sometimes doesn't sound like a bad idea. I just hope that if it happens, I'm directly under a nuke when it goes off because it would be a flash of light and lights out.

Considering the state of humanity (or lack thereof)...blowing up the entire world sometimes doesn't sound like a bad idea. I just hope that if it happens, I'm directly under a nuke when it goes off because it would be a flash of light and lights out.
My same thoughts, but don't tell anyone else about it.

And when Putin decided on his next target? And the next? And the next? At some point the rest of the world will have to say enough is enough and put a stop to him.

Either that or learn to speak Russian and do as you're told.
Well, I do speak it, IRL for vast majority of people things are pretty much the same, early steps of prep and invasion start to make more sense now, for the most part people are calm and collected. Social networks were a bit stormy and business elite did shake the boat and saying the world is doomed, now there's an observation and re-evalulation phase for them. To no one's surprise, western media paints it as Putin personally rushes from door to door with a bloodied handaxe and strikes everyone on sight. Huh, is that how do you think it works?
I do appreciate Cloudflare standing their ground (that's, if you didn't notice, is what the article states). It's not their tunelling services, but their infrastructure that helps a lot. I've been pissed off in the first week, but now little by little I started to piece it together, granted I can observe the situation from the inside and swim in liters of vomit from many "independent" media on the outside. There's a massive disconnect and so many half-truths on one side, while the other side claims it's a heroic bloodless assault.
It baffles me, that after mere 2 weeks I have pretty much no questions to either of the presidents and their administrations (I.e. Russia and the US), all of what's happening is self-explanatory when you've lived in Russia for some time and know even a little bit about the post-USSR events, but I have a ton of questions about poor business decisions and who exactly orchestrates their chorus. Because half of them just don't make sense, like MD's pulling out instead of rebranding within the country and keep running the chain with local supplies and having a hefty cut. From the inside it doesn't look scary or opressing, it feels and looks laughable, literally like "Bob and Julie left, so should I."
The actual scary thing is the families leaving their homes to marouders and the death toll on both sides, especially among skilled military personnel like pilots, they are pretty much the only ones who can minimize the losses and let big guns make a point without firing them more than necessary. Thankfully, no modern war conflict can go on without vehicles, those are being targeted the most, soon there will be a forced stalemate. On that background so-called "severe business sanctions" and a bandwagon of leaving companies look like clowns craving for attention.

Last edited:
I have a ton of questions about poor business decisions and who exactly orchestrates their chorus. Because half of them just don't make sense, like MD's pulling out instead of rebranding within the country and keep running the chain with local supplies and having a hefty cut. From the inside it doesn't look scary or opressing, it feels and looks laughable, literally like "Bob and Julie left, so should I."
A cut of what? Roubles? Who knows what they're going to be worth in a week? Many investment decisions may have been made when the exchange rate was far more favourable. As it is, they may not even be able to pay their employees

The ugly fact is that for many brands Russia is a relatively low-value market; one that is now no longer worth the trouble, let alone the reputational risk that impacts markets where they do make money. One of the few sticking around is British American Tobacco, which says all you need to know about both the profitability of its product and its existing reputation elsewhere.

The West needs to back off and understand the historical issues leading up to this point. There are strong parallels with the Cuban missile crisis.
JFK didn't want missiles deployed 2,500 km away in Cuba pointed towards the US. In a similar vein, Putin is vehemently against having NATO on Russia's doorstep in Eastern Ukraine.

The West needs to back off and understand the historical issues leading up to this point. There are strong parallels with the Cuban missile crisis.
JFK didn't want missiles deployed 2,500 km away in Cuba pointed towards the US. In a similar vein, Putin is vehemently against having NATO on Russia's doorstep in Eastern Ukraine.
So simple as that.

Back