COD4 MW single player will not load

I purchased COD4 MW 2 weeks ago and it worked perfectly. I had a virus last week and since then the single player will not open. Any ideas?

The simplest solution would be to uninstall the game and reinstall it. It seems clear either the virus damaged/deleted/corrupted some game files or the virus cleaning (I'm guessing you cleaned the virus out) did so.

I have removed the bad files and reinstalled several times. Acitivision (the game vendor) is claiming that a video or sound driver is the cause, but the multiplayer version is working perfectly.

I meant uninstall the game completely using Programs and Features or if you are using XP, Add or Remove Programs, then reinstall the game from scratch.

That's what I meant when I said reinstall. Sorry if I didn't explain it fully. After removing the virus files I removed the COD4 program and files and reinstalled. The first couple of times I elected not to remove the profile files to keep the game progress. When that didn't work I removed all program files with the
Add/Remove Programs and also ran %appdata% and %programfiles% to ensure that I had a complete removal of all files. I then reinstalled COD4 and the result was still the same. Multiplayer loads; single player does not.
The first screen of COD4 where you select multiplay, singleplayer, etc loads. When you select singleplayer the screen immediately reverts to the desktop.

No Problem! This was a really bad "bug." It changed all files to be hidden so you could not open anything the normal way. It also was telling the search scans that it wasn't there. It also attacked the system tools so that you could not do a system restore. That always said that it could not restore to a previous version because "there had not been any changes made," It you run into any of these(rootkit.tdss, Trojan.Agent, Trojan.FakeAlert, PUM.Hijack.Hidden, Trojan:WinNT/Alureon.S) beware. Also do not delay. Each day it works deeper into your files. Hopefully I am cured.

No Problem! This was a really bad "bug." It changed all files to be hidden so you could not open anything the normal way. It also was telling the search scans that it wasn't there. It also attacked the system tools so that you could not do a system restore. That always said that it could not restore to a previous version because "there had not been any changes made," It you run into any of these(rootkit.tdss, Trojan.Agent, Trojan.FakeAlert, PUM.Hijack.Hidden, Trojan:WinNT/Alureon.S) beware. Also do not delay. Each day it works deeper into your files. Hopefully I am cured.

Word of friendly advice, Never use system restore. Generally one of the first things that gets compromised. Beyond that, I would go run combo fix If I were you. Most issue could be picked up quick and removed easy with it. Just a idea for you if you hit a wall again.

Back