Codemasters announces Dirt 4, coming to PC in June

Scorpus

Staff member

Codemasters has announced that Dirt 4, the next entry in one of the most popular rally racing game series, is set to hit PC and current-gen consoles on June 6, 2017. This new game comes six years after the release of Dirt 3, and a year and half after the launch of Dirt Rally, Codemasters' more hardcore rally racing title for simulation enthusiasts.

Dirt 4 is set to include 50 cars from several popular rally manufacturers, including Ford, Mitsubishi and Subaru, while both buggies and trucks will also be returning to the franchise. Gamers will be able to race these vehicles across numerous locations in Australia, Michigan, Spain, Sweden, and Wales.

Interestingly, Dirt 4 will be the first title by Codemasters to introduce procedurally-generated tracks. These tracks will be part of a system called "Your Stage", which is a route creation tool "that allows you to produce an almost-infinite number of unique stages at the press of a button." All you have to do is choose a location and set some route parameters.

You can expect Dirt 4 to pack a realistic rally racing experience with a splash of fun and adrenaline when it is released on Windows, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 in June.

Permalink to story.

This is the 1st game announced this year that I may have a bit of interest in, depending on the port to PC. The only two games that interested me last year was Mafia 2 & Batman Arkham Something but we all know how that worked out after being ported to PC... not at all. Still it's not too bad. Crappy ports means that I don't have to wait until the game drops into the bargain bin before I pick it up like I would a decent one.

The "procedurally-generated tracks" sound really interesting, it will be something worth looking further in to as more details emerge. The Dirt franchise has been a great series, with exception to the Dirt 2 to 3 transition which it very well should have just been DLC. Dirt Rally was a great addition, and a throw back to the Colin McRae games that started it all. Hope they keep that style going with Dirt 4, however I have a feeling it will be back to the arcade style of game that the newer audience prefers.

I'll be getting Dirt 4.. I feel like I have to, being that I own all the other games in the Dirt series. And yeah, I'm sure Dirt 4 will be more 'arcade-like' gameplay. Unlike Dirt Rally, which was a more authentic, WRC race simulator.. Which I still play a lot of these days. I love Dirt Rally.. Incredible game. Dirt 4 will be added to my collection.. for sure.

Back