Combofix causes Windows Vista to crash

Puchatek

Hi

I'm having a problem with redirections, and as a part of the cleaning process I was asked to run Combofix (full description of the problem is available on https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic162293.html if you're interested), but half the time Combofix doesn't load on my PC, and the other half it causes Windows to crush as it prepares to do the scan. Same story for both normal and safe mode. And Bobbye, who tries to help me with redirections issue, asked me to post the Windows crash log here, and ask if you can perhaps infer anything useful from it.

Well, here's the log:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: C0000005
BCP2: 82217ADD
BCP3: 8D6B55B8
BCP4: 8D6B52B4
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini032611-01.dmp
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-74942-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\WER57EE.tmp.version.txt

Please let me know if there's some additional info you need me to provide. If there simply isn't anything meaningful for the Combofix problem that can be found from the log then... well, please let me know too ;)

Please do the following...

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

You have several different error codes but they don't cite anything that stands out as the cause. They simply report Windows OS drivers and the thing with OS drivers is that they are usually too general to be of much help.

The certainly don't tell us why you have redirection issues but a possibility with crashes may be due to corrupted memory. So let's do diagnostics on your memory using Memtest.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version which is 4.20. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn ISO to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

There is a Tutorial: How to use Memtest in our Guides and Tutorials forum; follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

Hi

Sorry I took so long to reply, but lately I'm hardly ever at home.
Anyway, I let Memtest run for 9 passes, and there were no errors detected. Correct me if I'm wrong but there isn't any log file to show, right?

*** Since Memtest shows no errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

Also, what is the make of your harddrive?

The harddrive make is Samsung, model HM251J1.

As for RAM, I don't really know how to check prescribed nor actual voltage. I tried unscrewing back of my laptop to see if I can read anything meaningful from RAM sticks without removing them (I'm unwilling to do that, lest I messed them up trying to put them back again), but didn't learn anything useful. There were labels indicating what I believe to be the actual item numbers, but nothing regarding the model or such. And I scanned through my BIOS, but didn't see anything that would mention RAM voltage.

Back