Each Mortal Kombat 1 crash report occupies up to 1GB of storage space

Daniel Sims

Staff
Facepalm: Users typically don't worry about accumulating crash reports because they are usually text files occupying a few kilobytes. However, Mortal Kombat 1 PC players discovered that enormous dumps were behind cases of mysteriously disappearing storage space. NetherRealm and WB Games are investigating the issue.

If you've experienced frequent crashes while playing Mortal Kombat 1 and are wondering why your OS drive's available space is shrinking, the game's crash reports are the likely culprit. The recently released competitive fighting game requires 100GB of storage upon installation, but repeated crashes have nearly doubled that size for some players.

Testing from multiple users and PCGamesN reveals that each time Mortal Kombat 1 crashes, it creates a new crash report folder in one of two locations within the App Data directory. To free up space, users should delete the folders at C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\MK12\Saved\Steam\Crashes, and C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\CrashDumps.

Each folder contains a Windows Crash Dump file that can balloon to around 1GB. Users on X (formerly Twitter) and the game's Steam discussion forum describe experiencing so many crashes that the reports occupied between 16 and 70GB.

Since the reports go into the AppData folder, they occupy space in the OS drive. Thus, installing Mortal Kombat 1 on a large secondary drive doesn't address the problem.

A community manager confirmed that WB Games is investigating this and other issues. Massive crash reports are one problem, but the math from comments suggests that some users have suffered dozens of crashes in the month since Mortal Kombat 1's release, which is concerning regardless of how big the crash reports are.

The game's most infamous tech-related controversy has been the Switch version's graphics. Attempting to ship Mortal Kombat 1 on Nintendo's six-year-old portable console is an ambitious endeavor, considering the game otherwise only supports the current-generation consoles and the PC. However, NetherRealm tried it anyway due to the Switch's undeniably significant install base, with shocking results.

Soon after launch, Switch users reported unacceptably pared-down graphics, bizarre glitches, and inconsistent performance. Possibly the most egregious aspect of the issue is that this version costs the same as the others – $70. NetherRealm has since released a large patch, which players report somewhat improves the graphics and addresses some glitches, but other issues remain.

Permalink to story.

Still better than ( can't remember ) windows shadow volumes/backup ??? was quite a while ago -

Wondered why on a PC my C drive tended to zero - no matter what I deleted - was even hidden from show hidden files etc and many disc analysis programs- Normally with windows it was restore points gone wild - easy to find and fix

Wow the game crashed 70 times and spammed the drive with crash reports. I wonder how many other games have this bug 🤔. 70x now that's some serious dedication.

Wow the game crashed 70 times and spammed the drive with crash reports. I wonder how many other games have this bug 🤔. 70x now that's some serious dedication.
Most game crash reports are in kb. Some in MB. Very rarely, does a crash report ever go above a few MBs. Seems like a bug but ya never know. Some like to collect a lot of data. 1 GB would know a lot about you/your system.

We're sorry but it seems like Mortal Kombat 1 has crashed but don't worry we're only going to upload your entire life history each and every time

Well most browsers, services and AI apps do it anyway but they upload everything directly, so those GBs count only for your provider.

Don't know should I be upset or laugh?

I just laugh because I'm not buying the game (this kind doesn't please me anymore). Anyway, I find 100 GB a complete absurd for a game: I played fabulous games with rich textures, sound (AAC) and video (x265) and they were MUUUUCH smaller. How can a game like this be so huge? An absurdity. Perhaps no compressed textures, sound and lousy video.

Last edited:
I was using Windows 10 pro then upgraded to Windows 11 pro in June 2022. I havent had any issues related to Windows performance. Most of things people have talked about over the years that affect Windows performance I had off in Windows 10. BitLocker ive never used and was not on for me but that could have been because I upgraded.

Back