Comcast doubles download speeds for its low-cost 'Internet Essentials' plan

Polycount

Staff
What just happened? It's no secret that Comcast isn't exactly a beloved internet service provider, but every now and then, the company does something that purely benefits consumers. Yesterday was one such time: as part of its commitment to "digital equity," Comcast is doubling the download speed of its low-income internet plan for all participating consumers.

The plan in question is called "Internet Essentials," and typically only offers speeds of 25Mbps for downloads and 3Mbps for uploads. Given that we're in the middle of a global pandemic, it seems Comcast has decided those speeds aren't quite satisfactory anymore.

Moving forward, the $9.95/month Internet Essentials plan will offer down and upstream speeds of 50Mbps and 5Mbps, respectively. That's significantly better than what the subscription previously offered, and it's much more competitive with low-cost plans from other providers.

However, it's still not ideal. Comcast hasn't raised the plan's data cap as part of this move, so users will still be limited to a maximum of 1.2TB per calendar month. Every 50GB used beyond that limit will run you an extra $10 -- that could quickly become troublesome if users aren't paying attention to their usage. The 5Mbps upload limit is also a bit on the low side, though it's definitely a slight improvement.

Regardless, yesterday's speed upgrades come at no additional cost to users, so it's difficult to complain too much here -- if they'd come with a price hike, we would certainly feel differently.

Again, Comcast's Internet Essentials plan is geared toward low-income households, so if you want to give it a shot, you'll need to meet a few requirements first. These include eligibility for SNAP benefits, Medicaid, SSI, and more.

Once you're signed up, you'll get two months of service free, without a "term contract" or credit check.

Permalink to story.

I was on Comcast site this weekend and noticed I could lower my bill by $20 and increase the download/upload speeds.

Also don't forget many comcast users get peacock premium for free.

Considering that Comcast limited all home user's upload speeds to 5Mbps during COVID-19, this isn't really anything.

Considering that Comcast limited all home user's upload speeds to 5Mbps during COVID-19, this isn't really anything.

Not sure what you are referring too. But here in Miami they haven't limited anything for me. Still uploading 45mbps and downloading 800mbps.

I wish comcast wasn't the only game in town where I live. I noticed an error on my bill where they over charged me $92 for services I never signed up for(I don't have cable or phone, just internet).

Well, after spending literally close to 4 hours on the phone with billing they refunded it to me. However, the following month they charged me a $78 "service fee". I still never got an answer to what the service fee was for. After fighting with phone robots for an hour I finally got ahold of a human and the only thing they said was, "we don't have access to those details on your account".
It was at this point I hung up the phone and considered getting DSL.

Last edited:
From what I remember about Comcast, they could offer you 1T service speed at just $10 a month and it STILL wouldn't be worth it. Have they improved ................. any?

I'm lucky to have gig offerings from 2 different ISPs in my neighborhood. But unlike Comcast, I get 1 gig down AND up with CenturyLink for the same price (for life!).

I'm lucky to have gig offerings from 2 different ISPs in my neighborhood. But unlike Comcast, I get 1 gig down AND up with CenturyLink for the same price (for life!).

CenturyLink is making some moves in my area as well, but unfortunately for here their historical track record has been either absolutely stellar, or the worst ISP one could deal with - and not much in-between. :(

I personally pay a little bit extra and use Comcast, I'm willing to pay a little bit more to not use Frontier.

I hear they still have a monthly download cap. Which is disgusting for a cable internet. Greedy c*%$s who became this way because they had monopoly in most places in USA.
South Park's Comcast episode sums it up well.

Not sure what you are referring too. But here in Miami they haven't limited anything for me. Still uploading 45mbps and downloading 800mbps.
It was in the fine print. Maybe it was a regional thing. It caused constant problems for people at my company. Thankfully at about the same time, fiber came to my neighborhood so I could drop Comcast.

It was in the fine print. Maybe it was a regional thing. It caused constant problems for people at my company. Thankfully at about the same time, fiber came to my neighborhood so I could drop Comcast.

Oh man that sucks :|. I wish Google Fiber was already here in Miami, FL.

CenturyLink is making some moves in my area as well, but unfortunately for here their historical track record has been either absolutely stellar, or the worst ISP one could deal with - and not much in-between. :(

I personally pay a little bit extra and use Comcast, I'm willing to pay a little bit more to not use Frontier.

CenturyTel/Link has a REALLY bad reputation in my area. They threw a tissy fit when Bresnan/Charter/Spectrum came to town and would find any excuse not to let you port your number over to Spectrum.

Just checked for kicks and giggles and they offer up to 3mbps at my house. Their site says "Great! You qualify for up to 3 Mbps" for $50/mo + $15/mo if you rent their "premium wifi modem". lol

I hate to say it, but in my area the cable company (Bresnan/Charter/Spectrum) are the GOOD guys, and that says sometime.

We do have a local ISP, but they only offer DSL, and run it over CenturyLink's copper and it maxes out at 10mbps, but you rarely get that - since the copper in our area is so terrible. But some how the local ISP still has more stable service than CenturyLink, using the same copper.....

Back