Comcast, Time Warner, Cablevision open Wi-Fi networks to each others' customers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Comcast, Time Warner, and Cablevision have reportedly banded together to broaden the availability of Wi-Fi in metropolitan areas of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. The cable giants have opened their Wi-Fi signals to each others' customers, so subscribers of one company's broadband service can now access hotspots from all three providers.

This pact is effective today and authentication for all three networks is present on every access point, greatly expanding the reach and value of your service. Impressively, this comes at no extra charge, and there doesn't seem to be any other apparent "catches" either. If you happen to be strolling through New York City with a Wi-Fi-equipped mobile device, give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

Cablevision executive John Bickham said the agreement was one of a kind and possibly the first of many to come, so watch for offerings in your area.

Permalink to story.

Well that looks to be a smart idea as Verizon FIOS in the Metropolitan area has had this out for over a year now. Can't say I would ever use any of those 3 companies for internet as I have a 35Mbps Upload/Download through Verizon for $35 a month in my house and those rip off companies could never even offer me 10Mbps for that price pretty bad marketing in my opinion. Good thing they are following the leaders of the broadband market to make them look better.

Are you talking about this plan?

$119.99/month online Includes:
Verizon Freedom Essentials
FiOS Internet 35/35 Mbps
FiOS TV Ultimate HD
See Bundle details
Regular price is $139.99/mo.
2-yr agreement required.

BEST PRICE ONLINE
Save $20/month for 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.