Command Prompt commands don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that every time I try to use a command that isn't dir or cd, I get a message like this.

C:\>tracert windows.com
'TRACERT' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\>pathping windows.com
'PATHPING' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Any help at all would be appreciated

Could be one of two things

1. Verify pathping and tracert are in C:\Windows\system32. You can either cd to the directory or just use Windows Explorer. If missing the best approach is running a Windows tool called System File Checker. Tell me which Windows version you're using.

2, Check your PATH variable. At the command prompt > type PATH. Hit enter. You should see a series of directories seperated by semicolons, One directory should be C:\Windows\system32

e.g. the result of PATH on my computer is
PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Bin\;C:\Program Files\ESTsoft\ALZip\;C:\Program Files\Tools\cmdTools\;C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tool

LookinAround said:
2, Check your PATH variable. At the command prompt > type PATH. Hit enter. You should see a series of directories seperated by semicolons, One directory should be C:\Windows\system32
this is the typical problem. for naive users, it's likely to be desirable to avoid this,
but it sure helps to have the tools from system32\* when trying to fix problems :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back