Compaq Virusscan in DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjsteve

My daughter brought her Compaq Presario home from college full of viruses. I tried to do virus scan in dos ... but when i boot with the startup disk the c:\ prompt doesn't show me the actual c drive, but the contents of the recovery drive. Does anyone know about this?

I will explain my problem in more detail, in case I wasn't specific enough in the previous post.

I have a Compaq Presario running XP.

In XP, there is a C drive containing the typical files and D drive labled Presario_RP (for the purpose of restoring)

When I boot up from a start-up disk, the "real" C drive is gone, and the "new" C drive is the labeled "Presario_RP".

Is anyone familiar with this and can anyone suggest a solution? Is there anyway I can boot from a floppy and access the REAL C drive?

Most likely that PC has the NTFS file-system. This can NOT be read by DOS, it does not exist for DOS.
If the PC still works, begin with an online-scan from Trend-Micro:
http://be.trendmicro-europe.com/consumer/housecall/housecall_launch.php
See what it can sort out for you.

My posts here have helped numerous people with all sorts of infections:
Go to this post here, and follow the instructions EXACTLY, especially about UPDATING and HJT-location.
How to remove Begin2Search/Coolwebsearch and Other Nasties

Then see How to post your Hijackthis log-files as an attachment.

Thanks so much for your excellent help. I was able to do a virus scan in trend-micro that eliminated a large perentage of the problem, and HijackThis did the rest. The machine is running as smooth as ever now. Muito obrigado.

Similar Problem!

I am trying to format a Compaq Presario SR2038X. The problem is, after having formatted the first Partition (C), the PRESARIO_RP took C's place. Now, booting with the WINXP cd, i get that D is the Partition with Windows, and C is PRESARIO_RP. Here's a pic -

cimg1738qp0.jpg

The problem is that when i do not boot and try to actually install Windows.. it freezes before loading the setup. What i am thinking is that it is confusing C with D and cannot continue. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back