Compatibility check on new gaming machine -- first PC build

Hey everyone,

I'm building a new gaming desktop and want to make sure everything is compatible! ... I've never built a pc before so if you could take a look at this list and see if anything stands out to you as being wrong!

A couple of main things I want to be sure of are: Will the water cooler work with the case? and Which PCI wireless card will I need? PCIe x2 or PCIe x1?

Thanks! Here's the list (Sorry I can't post links yet since I'm new):

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CPU: Intel Core i7-980 Gulftown 3.33GHz 6 x 256KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model

Hard Drives: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

2 Video Cards (gtx 570): EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP

Power Supply: KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000W ATX / BTX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

DVD Burner: ASUS 24X DVD Burner

Water Cooling: CORSAIR CWCH50-1 High Performance CPU Cooler

Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech Wireless Combo

PCI Wireless Card: Rosewill RNX-G300LX Wireless Adapter Card IEEE 802.11b/g PCI

or: Asus Wireless Network Adapter (PCE-N13)

Personally I wouldn't blow money on an i7-980 1366 based system. Enthusiast level Sandy Bridge products are scheduled before the end of the year and AMD Bulldozer CPUs should be competitive as well, even the 1155 socket Sandy bridge systems are giving very similar performance to that Gulftown processor for a lot less money. I'd rather put the money into better video cards. Also 24Gb of ram is excessive. 8-16Gb is as much as I'd recommend for gaming. If you have other planned uses for the machine then you might have reason to put that much ram in it, otherwise cut back on the ram to at least 16Gb and invest the money into an SSD drive for OS and current games to be stored on. That improves boot speed and loading times for games. Don't think there should be a problem with the H50 in that case. As long as there is clearance between the rear exhaust fan mounting position and the CPU positioning for the radiator and fan to fit then you are good to go.

Thank you Arris ... very helpful information! It's hard to find all of the facts when you're new to gaming builds hah :D

Oh never noticed you haven't specified any monitor(s).
If you do follow my advice and change motherboard, ram and CPU you could put the savings towards some very nice displays. Mmmm multiple monitor gaming :slurp:

Techspot "Luxury" system spec - https://www.techspot.com/guides/buying/page5.html

Dell UltraSharp U3011 30" $1,500.....

Back