Compatible PSU with socket 478

Status
Not open for further replies.

camuk

Hi all,

First off big thank to every one who responded on the last link.

Having had two people look at the computer which would switch off with no warning I have replaced the motherboard however the problem is still occurring.

I have now been told it is the PSU.

So these are the facts off the box it is a socket 478 for pentium 4, P4i65G.

Can anyone tell me a compatible PSU for it so I can go get one this weekend and kick son off my laptop!

P.S. Not too technical please my extent of computer hardware is turning the computer on and opening up the case to clean it!

P.S. One a scale of one to 10 how hard is it to fit?

We don't seem to have an original working windows disc! (I know 5 supplied with computer and all were scratched)

Plus I'll be doing it myself

opps, sorry, i didn't ask you where you live:rolleyes:, hey 34 quid isn't bad for that unit there.
its really not a big deal, just follow all the connections to the motherboard, video card, hard drives, cd drive, etc and make sure all are disconnected. the power supply is attached by 4 Phillips screws on the back of the unit. take them out, screw the new one in and reconnect the appropriate connectors. give it the once over twice, to make sure you have power to everything you originally unplugged. and have a go!. just a note, be patient and make note of the way the connectors are plugged in. they have a notch on them so they cant be installed upside down and such. and don't forget that there is an on/off switch on the back of the power supply labeled I/0. that should be it. if you have problems when you get it home , look me up :)

oh you wont need your windows disc for a new power supply, and 1-10.....its a 2 ...maybe :)

Lets hope its as easy as you say otherwise watch out for a post on how to rebuild it all!

Wish me luck gang think I'll be back on tomorrow night!

Ok gang got the PSU, unplugged the old one taken photos and hit a small snag.

The new PSU is a 24 pin however the old PSU is a 20 is this going to be compatible?

Next problem is I have only 2 hardrives however there are cables for 3 so do I plug in the first two and then the last one which is a 4 socket flat thing?

Same for the Cd drives

Typical woman didn't read the manual, low and behold it detaches!

Any clue on plugging in though

My bad camuk, forgot to tell you about that with your older motherboard. this is one solution to that.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200065
I know you cant buy from newegg but for reference. the other possible solution is one i have seen advised many times of letting the additional 4 pins hang off the end of the 20 pin plug. I have always opted for the 24-20 pin converter, so let me check the validity of that.

what detaches? the last 4 pins? or the whole cable from the PSU?

ok i see its a 20+4 pin, so just seperate the 4 pin module , it has shaped pins so it will only plug in one way. and you can look for the clip retainer on one side as well.

Detached the 4 pin it simply slid off with a bit of force.

Plugged in and switched on! Whole family gathered for my momentous occasion

Fan works on PSU and that's about it, Must have it wired wrong some where!

Ok so to the cd drive I have 2 large 4 pin and one for the floppy but we dont need that one leaving it in just incase.

Now I think its the hard drive. Taken a video of the set up but cant see the right angle. There are 3 plugs and I have plugged the last two in

Plugged the square 4 pin into the motherboard.

Eureka moment connected the molex connectors again disconnected the cd drives, yakked for 10 minutes on phone, then tried it again and it worked.

(Hey check me out starting to talk computer speak!)

and does your graphic card have a power connector? if it does, you plug the 6 pin connector into it

(Hey check me out starting to talk computer speak!)

LOL, very good indeed!

Taken graphics card out have been advised this has a superior graphics card in it was running FX5200 Geforce ancient I know

Ok finished reading bear hunt to kid left it off, power on, psu fan and motherboard fan working. Hdd whirring, Cd drives purring!

Not booting up!

OK, if the motherboard has been replaced in this computer, the boot order may be wrong, (in BIOS) and it may not have anything to do with the PSU. This assumes that the 4 pin CPU plug is connected, and is making good contact.

Sorry to report though, the old Windows installation may not be optimal for your new hardware. (When changing something like a motherboard , XP and all the drivers should be/ may have to be reinstalled). Hopefully this may not be true if the new board is a true identical replacement.

So could this problem cause the computer to not boot up.

All drives are receiving power however does not want to work.

Replaced the motherboard with one that would work with Intel 4 hence a very old motherboard!

Progress, if nothing by the end of the week will film it flying out the car window on the motorway or should that be a free way at 70 miles an hour!!

You tube here I come!

Hi Camuk,
I didn't get in on the first thread you posted in may,where the result was changing out your motherboard. I wish one of the techs you had look at it would have told you that making a major hardware change(in this case the motherboard) requires a 'repair install' or a full clean install (preferred). thats why its not booting. any chance you can locate the missing XP install disc?

Oh yeah....what Captain said

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back