Compatible SSD for old MB

LeeLuck

Hi peeps, hope you can shed some light on helping me decide what SSD to get.
I have a Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 MB which my i7 950 overclocked rig is built on, I am in the middle of starting a new build but I am keeping this rig and thought about upgrading the last thing thats pretty much worth upgrading on it and thats an SSD.
At the mo it runs two 1TB samsung F3's to which I will keep for extra storage but the MB in is old now and I dont think these fancy SSD's will be compatible with it. Here is the tec sheet for the MB

Click me

I think the 6xsata connections are sata 1 so that limits my options.... so.......

whats the best SSD I can get for this old board (need one abut 240gig) that plugs into
the sata connections available ?

OR

Do I get one of these ?

OCZ 240GB PCIe

Thanks mucho for any advice ;)
Lee.

It's SATA2 on that MOBO. New SSD's are SATA3, but they'll just run at the slower SATA2 speed.

So, get the cheapest most reliable one since any SSD r/w speeds are now faster than SATA2.

The SSD you linked is insanely fast, and also pretty darn expensive. It's up to you really - but it will run at max speed on your mobo.

SATA II is okay, and you can get decent deals on older slower SSDs.
You could also try using a PCIE SATAIII but I'm not sure how that will work out for running a boot drive.
I'm not sure but I remember in the past PCIE drives as boot drives are sometimes problematic.

Thanks peeps, food for thought :) think I will get a Samsung 512GB 850pro and let it run slower until I upgrade the Mobo ;)

Back