Complete rebuild with Gigabyte mobo does not fire up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rebuiding an old Emachine (ATX. ) using Gigabyte MBO GA-MA785GMT-UD2H, new 400W P/Sup, AMD Phenom ll X3 2.8 GHZ X3-720 processor, 2 sticks mem, Kingston DDR3-1333(1Gb each)

Was trying to save old IDE Hdd! After install of above, cpu fan spins, but nothing else....cant get to Bios....no beeps or video! Purchased SATA drive....tried booting, can hear drive spin up, but nothing on monitor! Removed batttery and Restored CMOS....same! Keybd and mouse are USB! Noticed reference to Graphic card in manual! Does this MBO require a separate Graphics card to boot?? Made sure MBO not shorted to metal! Someone else on here mentioned "connecting 8 pin power supply to CPU".....am I missing something??
I am out of ideas!!!! Please help!!!!
Thanks
Note: CPU and Memory selected from Gigabyte compatibility list!

you don't need a video card, the MB has on board ATI 4200 integrated. so did you plug in the 8 pin power connector to the MB?

Hmmm!

Hello and Thanks for the reply!
That may be the answer to the mystery! The only 8 pin connector on the board is labeled "12V ATX" . My power supply does not have such a connector! Should I have bought another type of power supply? How would it be identified?
Thanks
Jim

Okay thats the one, I have attached a schematic of your board to be sure. I think the problem is that your PSU connector comes as a (4+4) connector (two seperate 4 pin connectors that you put together as some boards (mostly older ones) only use a 4 pin power connector. locate two 4 pin connectors. see attached. here is an image of a 4+4 CPU power connector.
12v.jpg

Attachments

• 8pinpwr.JPG
    8pinpwr.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 6
Now I Understand!

Hey thanks for the great info! Apparently, the MBO has 24 pin pwr connector, and the pwr sup has a 20+4, and also has another 4 pin connector, which is probably the two you refer to! Since I am using the 20+4, it leaves just one 4 pin! I read that there is a conversion wire gizmo I can purchase and split the 4 pin to 8 pin! Would it work if I remove the 4 pin from the 20+4, and put it over to the 8 pin, or should I pick up the gizmo?
Thanks again for the help....I was going crazy!
Jim

the reason that the main board power connector comes as a 20+4 is for older motherboards (they used to be 20 pin) so you need to use the 20+4 in that main connector. if your power supply has only a 4 pin for the CPU power connector you need to get the adapter you are referring to. one note of caution: make sure that your new PSU is capable of running your new upgraded system. the fact that it only come with a 4 pin for the CPU power connector makes me think you may have problems.
if you want to post your complete system specs, i can help determine if your PSU will run it or if you need a different PSU. hope this is helping :)

Tremendous help!

Hello again!
You are being tremendously helpful! The people at Newegg couldnt figure it out after 2 weeks of chat!
The build is as follows:
Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H.....MBO
Apex Al-A400ATX.400W....Pwr/Sup
AMD phenom ll X3 2.8GHZ, X3720....processor
Kingston 1GB DDR3, 1333 Memory......2 sticks!

I ordered the connector tonight...should have it soon! Let me know what you think! I know its taking your valuable time, for which I am very appreciative!
Regards
Jim

One warning to mention ,I also had to buy a new PSU for my Gigabyte -MA785GT-UD3H as i also needed the 8 pin / 4 + 4 pin .My old PSU has a 6pin and also a 2 pin fly lead.The problem is the 2 pin fly are both negitives and not +12v and 0v.
Make sure its 4 x +12v and 4 x 0v. (i.e 4 x yellow 4 x black in uk anyhow)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back