Compression app Opera Max now saves data while you watch YouTube and Netflix

midian182

Staff member

The Opera Max data management app has long been used by those who find their data allowances run out before the end of each billing cycle. The data-compressing proxy for Android can supposedly reduce data usage by up to 50 percent across 3G/4G/LTE and Wi-Fi networks, and with little loss of quality. But Opera Max had been unable to compress one of the biggest data-eaters: HTTPS videos from YouTube and Netflix.

However, a new update has solved this problem, meaning that not only will the amount of data used when watching videos from these sites be cut in half (precise amounts depend on the type of network and device used), but the company also claims using its service will reduce buffering. Opera says it is working on adding support for additional HTTPS video services over the coming months.

In addition to now being able to compress videos, the version 1.2.27 update brings the ability to disconnect from a VPN without having it close the Max user interface, various UI modifications, and several bug fixes and improvements.

Opera Max works by sending a user’s traffic through its own network and then compressing the data before it’s sent back. While the process may raise some questions about who gets to see this traffic, the company says it takes the issue of privacy very seriously. Opera Max also blocks any unused apps running in a phone’s background that may be consuming data. It’s claimed that the free app can reduce a 10 MB video to almost 3 MB.

Permalink to story.

I got all excited about this until I saw it was for mobile only. A fat lot of good that does me seeing I don't use my Android mobile for media consumption but I suppose it'll make some people happy.

Back