Computer Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

r3claimer

I am trying to build a computer for the first time. I have compiled a list of components I need, and where to get them. Unfortunately, I do not have all the money I need right now, so it is likely I will post an updated version later. Here is the list:

Motherboard
- Intel BOXD975XBX2KR LGA 775 975X ATX Intel Motherboard- $230
URL:www.intel.com/buy/desktop/boxed-board/embedded.htm?sSKU=BOXD975XBX2KR
Processor- Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4- $270
URL:www.intel.com/buy/desktop/boxed-processor/embedded.htm?sSKU=BX80562Q6600
Video Card- EVGA Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512 DDR3- $200
URL: http://rd.ss.yahoo.com/SIG=1948sgve...2&Sku=E145-8832&SRCCODE=YAHOODF&CMP=SPC-YAHOO
P/S- 600w Power Supply- $60
URL: www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2143209&CatId=1483
Computer Case- Tagan Aplus EL Diablo Case/ Black- $120
URL: www.xoxide.com/tagan-aplus-diablo-black.html
Hard Drive- 250GB hard Drive 7200RPM- $100
URL: www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.html?PartNo=758545
RAM- 2GB of Random Access Memory (May not be needed)- $80
URL: www.Crucial.com
DVD/CD Dual Layer Combo Drive- $40
URL: www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3571949&Sku=L12-1170
Windows Vista Home Premium- $190
URL: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000HCZ9AW/ref=dp_olp_2

Total Without RAM- $1,210
Total With RAM- $1,290

I would like to know if I build a system with these parts, will it function properly?

I actually think it would be cheaper to build this system on www.CyberpowerPC.com or www.IBuyPower.com so if you think this is the case, please let me know.

Here is a slightly modified list of the components you chose. Likely both a better PSU and RAM.

The total after rebates and before shipping is $1,157.91.

If you're willing to buy an "Open Box" version of that motherboard it'd be $1,057.91.

Actually yes, there is. My mistake. I hadn't really looked at the specifications of the parts you chose, I just went to Newegg knowing it'd be cheaper based on the prices you listed and made a cart really fast. The motherboard will not support the RAM's clock frequency (maximum is DDR2 800MHz and I chose DDR2 1066MHz to match the FSB on your CPU). You should choose a different motherboard.

Do you have a suggestion? preferably not SLI as its way too expensive. (I'm trying to keep it name brand with Intel, but if there are other, well-known-to-be-reliable manufacturers, I won't mind in the slightest.)

It looks great, hmmmmm, but why at less than half the cost I wonder? Surely the one I chose must out perform this one in some way. I have a hard time believing that a mother board less than half the price of the other is better in every single way. If this is in fact the case however, then why is it so cheap compared to the other one?

Also, in the event I find this one suitable, woould it be a good idea to buy the Core 2 Extreme Processor instead? Is there any good reason I should buy it instead of the Core 2 quad? Or should I spend the saved money on a GeForce GTX instead of the originally planned GT? OR (Third Option) Should I just stick with the current setup and save green overall?

No way in hell I'd pay the extra cash for a Core 2 Extreme, not even close to being justifiable it to me. If I were you, I'd stick with the Quad for now.

I'd run with the third option if I were you :).

I made a couple modifications to your "quick cart."

1.) I changed the place i get the 8800GT to a link from Nvidia.com, same card, only $200.
2.) I changed the Vista version to 32 bit, it uses less RAM, and there is no advantage to the 64-bit version other than video editing stuff. I'm not gunna use it. It's only ten dollars less. good enough for me. I was wondering why the P/S is so expensive, I had found one for $60. That doesn't seem cheap enough to be a piece of junk. Anyway, with the $100 motherboard you showed me, the total is $1195. With the $230 motherboard, $1325.

It looks good but for these days I would ensure you motherboard has an ability to input SLI video cards and run a Dual Channell RAM.

Imatyta said:
It looks good but for these days I would ensure you motherboard has an ability to input SLI video cards and run a Dual Channell RAM.

There is virtually no reason for 99% of PC users to go out of their way to buy a SLI compatible motherboard, and motherboard support of the dual channel technology has been a mainstream implementation for years...

Well, it looks like you've got a pretty sweet build. A couple of things I noticed, though. You seem to be spending quite a bit of money on products that can be found cheaper at other sites. Have you looked through newegg and tigerdirect??? For example, a 500 gb hard drive on newegg is half the price of your 250 gb. The same can be said for ram and such. 2gb of ram on newegg costs $20. If you're low on money (a position most of us have often found ourselves in) you might want to go for less expensive stuff. Also, if you don't have them, don't forget to add speakers, mouse, keyboard, and monitor to your list. They can add up to a couple hundred dollars. As far as quality goes, the things more expensive seem to be better, but usually this can be replaced by quantity (8 gb of cheap ram will probably be as good as or better than the expensive 2 gb) Last, don't forget to purchase all necessary cables, etc. Have fun and good luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back