Computer crashes and freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

subzero20001

My computer crashes and says: "collecting data for crash dump" and counts to a hundred and then turns off altogether. Sometimes instead, it just freezes. When I turn it back on a lot of times I have to restart it multiple times before i can boot it up without a freeze. Can someone please help?

Hi there,

Could you please attach the latest 3-4 mini dump files to your next post.

They can be found in

Start > My Computer > Local Disk C: > Windows > Minidump

Someone will be able to debug them for you :)

Sorry, I should have explained it a bit better.

When your machine is booting up, tap F8 repeatedly and it should direct you to a black screen with white writing. It should have multiple options, including three options for Safemode. You want the first option of just 'Safemode'

okay, it happened again, and I tried to open the file in safe mode, but I couldn't. My computer also doesn't recognize the format it's in.

Oh by the way, this was happening when my computer was using vista, and then I switched to windows 7 and it's still happening.

Ok, need a bit more info on the crash.

When does this crash happen?

Is there anything in eventviewer. To get there

Start > Run > Type eventvwr > System. See if there are any recent Red Errors and post the details here

:) No problem. Just list what your hardware is. For example, my system specs are

Cpu - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
RAM - G-Skill 2GB
PSU - Antec 800W
Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT
Motherboard - Asus P5Q
OS - Windows XP Pro

Or, if it is not custom made or doesn't list these specifically. Then just let me know what brand and model your machine is

Graphics card needs updating :) and possibly more RAM.

Sadly I cannot afford because I have little things to pay like rent, power and food.

Nothing important :p

and I have a graphics card that I got. But that was installed a while before this started, so it's probably not the problem.

Is the card still under warranty?.

Since your just putting stress on your graphics card, and the machine is freezing then I'd suggest either returning the card. Or trying a different card in the machine

Then it might be time to move onto the actual system RAM.

Here is some info on running memtest

Make sure it passes for at least 7 times. Most people run this test overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back