Computer dead will not turn on

linz1

The fan has been progressively making a racket for the last 3 weeks, so yesterday I tried to locate which fan it was as there a 6 in this computer.
As I slowly unplugged each one and turning the computer on and off each time, the computer would not turn on after about the fifth time.
I have checked the power pack with a paper clip test and it started the fans.
I have unplugged in turn , video card, dvd drive, hard drive, ram cards, took a cooling system that was sitting over the CPU. The whole time I never touched the circuit board.
Nothing.
I am not a computer tech but having a go as I desperately need this computer running asap I have tons of work to do.
I am lost for solutions now, what can I do do next please.

Thanks for the reply and guide , but would you have a clue as to what it maybe before going through all this process and expense.

"Nothing" => Loose connection, psu switch is off, broken power switch, loose component...

Most likely - one or two of the above.

Getting somewhere, the motherboard is a Biostar tpower 145, I notice right at the bottom corner it has 2 tiny on /off buttons red /green.
I pressed the red button and the system started and ran for about 2 mins then shut down. This leads me to believe that it is the power pack supply is faulty as it will not start the computer with the stitch ( even tho the fan runs with the paper clip test)
Would you agree, I don't suppose it can hurt to buy another power pack as the computer is 11 yrs old now.

Go to Biostar, locate and download manual for motherboard. I have no idea what little buttons you have there. I do not know what you mean by 'paper clip test'. (I use a paperclip to short the power on circuit on the motherboard when the power on button has been detached. This may be used to indicate a failure in the power switch or to do a benchtop rebuild and test.)

Read manual and tell.

Hi, yes had a look, it refers to it has a on board power button and a reset button one's green and the other red. That's all it says. Sorry not all that savvy with this stuff , my first time taking it to bits.

SO, "red"/"reset" button resulted in a power start up which failed. Please describe what appears on screen during the two minutes before it shuts down again. Did fans turn? Were there any sounds? Any error messages? Can you enter system setup?

I am running Linux OS and the Linux logo comes up as normal then it shuts down, Don't think it beeps it never did tho, bought used as a gaming computer and the guy made it himself.
I don't use it for gaming but for Video/audio editing and Photoshop.

Please describe what appears on screen during the two minutes before it shuts down again.

Do the fans turn?

Is there a single beep (there should be)?

Were there any other sounds?

Any error messages?

Can you enter system setup or BIOS?

More questions:
- Linux - which one?
- do you have a bootcd?
- when did you last clean out dust?
- do you have data backups?
- what kind of HDD do you have?
- when you enter BIOS is the time correct?

An update but still having problems, I have replaced the power pack and got the computer running but I can't start it with the power button only with the motherboard on button. The power button does work because I changed the wires around from the reset button to test. And I did get a belt off the casing when I tried to turn it on.

" I can't start it with the power button only with the motherboard on button. The power button does work because I changed the wires around from the reset button to test. " So there is no connection with the 'reset button' wiring - you have re-purposed the power button to function as the reset button.

Why not just test continuity of the buttons and wiring? Once satisfied the buttons function, restore them as per manual.

" And I did get a belt off the casing when I tried to turn it on." If you are saying that you received a shock from your computer case - STOP RIGHT NOW. Take your problem to a professional tech.

Back