Audacity is free, open source, cross-platform, easy-to-use audio software for multi-track recording and editing. Audacity can record live audio through a microphone or mixer, or digitize recordings from other media. With some sound cards, and on any recent version of Windows, Audacity can also capture streaming audio.
Import sound files, edit them, and combine them with other files or new recordings. Export your recordings in several common file formats.
Major new features:
- Easier zooming in and out with mousewheel, new Zoom Toggle command, and context menu for vertical rulers (thanks to James Crook)
- Easy access to change keyboard bindings of menu commands by holding Shift key
- Detection of dropout errors while recording with overburdened CPU
- Half-wave display option
- Improved contrasts in Light and Dark themes
- Extra menu consolidates Ext-Bar and Ext-Command menus that were introduced in the previous 2.2.1 release
- Several bugs/annoyances in 2.2.0 are now fixed, most importantly:
- Multiple use of “Save As” to the existing open project will not result in data corruption/loss
- Exporting audio in compressed formats to device with insufficient space will not produce inconsistent/truncated results
- Fuller details on the changes since 2.2.1 can be found in the 2.2.2 Release Notes.