Computer doesn't turn on

I have assembled my new cpu but it doesn't turn on. This is my second time assembling my computer and my first time went on smoothly. But this time I missed on something and I have no idea what it is. Every time I press the power button, nothing happens. I'm sure there is power on the board because the led indicator is active. I also noticed that the cpu fan moved a little as if it will spin, but it didn't continue.

I'm using ASUS P5G41-M Motherboard..

Sounds like a faulty power supply. I had an old PC once that wouldnt power on. All the fans moved a little bit when the power button was pressed but that was it. It was a bad PSU. So it might pay to RMA it.

But first, i would advise you to double and triple check all of your connections and make sure everything is all plugged in correctly.

I had that problem when building one of my computers and it turned out to be I didn't have the power switched plugged in correctly into the motherboard. I simply turned it around and it turned on. Hopefully yours is that simple.

I had that problem when building one of my computers and it turned out to be I didn't have the power switched plugged in correctly into the motherboard. I simply turned it around and it turned on. Hopefully yours is that simple.

You didnt have the power switched plugged in correctly? Most plugs concerning the 3 prong to the PSU to the motherboard cannot be plugged in the wrong way.. tabs on the sides and the shapes of the plugs. Even the 20 pin or 24 pin to the motherboard. To have plugged these in wrong would most likely break something.

Anyways, someone else mentioned that the power supply may be bad. This is very possible even though the LED indicator on the motherboard is lit, and the fans spin upon plugging the power connector in. This has happened to me on several occasions at work as well as working on family and friend's PCs. Something as silly as unplugging the power without powering down through the computer system can cause this. I mean unplugging the 120VAC that comes from the wall to the PSU directly from the back of the power supply can cause these go fail but still create the symptoms you described in your original post.

If this is confusing, just let me know. A new power supply could cost you $30 from tigerdirect, for a weak PSU.

Here are some links for you. There are ways to test the power supply with a simple voltage meter, but you have to cross the green wire with a ground on the 20 or 24 pin mothboard connector to initiate the power supply.

Otherwise, you can get a PSU power tester like this

Here is a cheap power supply.
Thermaltake Purepower PSU 430W

If you are running any additional equipment you might want to post them if I need to suggest a stronger PSU. for example; lots of hard drives, or high power video cards.

I have assembled my new cpu but it doesn't turn on. This is my second time assembling my computer and my first time went on smoothly. But this time I missed on something and I have no idea what it is. Every time I press the power button, nothing happens. I'm sure there is power on the board because the led indicator is active. I also noticed that the cpu fan moved a little as if it will spin, but it didn't continue.

I'm using ASUS P5G41-M Motherboard..

You can try starting the os by safe mode if it is windows...still not working try to check the assembling with a technician.

You can try starting the os by safe mode if it is windows...still not working try to check the assembling with a technician.

If we can all find a technician, I dont think we would be posting here. lol, no offense please, but sometimes this just isnt an easy thing to find without paying crap loads of money.

I worked on my first computer repair in 1976. It was a Digital PDP8. It took 45 minutes to boot up

I worked on my first computer repair in 1976. It was a Digital PDP8. It took 45 minutes to boot up

Cool story, bro. I wasnt even alive yet. ;) But that's a heck of a boot time... and people complain about a few minutes. hah!

Assuming OP will never return....

You had to boot the PDP8 using paper punch tape and about 40 punch cards loaded one at a time. The 20GB hard drive had 20 inch platters and weighed 150 pounds!

You had to boot the PDP8 using paper punch tape and about 40 punch cards loaded one at a time. The 20GB hard drive had 20 inch platters and weighed 150 pounds!

Wow! That's amazing in its own way. That's almost like a peice of furniture.... put it in your living room and call it "art." Nobody today would probably even recognize what it is.

I have an old HDD that is about 5" by 8" and I thought this thing was huge. This thing has a date on it of 1983.. no idea if its the manufacture date. Guess this thing was said to hold some whopping 20MBs or something close, have no idea on exact spec though.

Im not :(. I want to be though.

Thats the bad thing about living in New Zealand though. Jobs like that are extremely hard to find.

You would be surprised how many different companies require an IT Dept.. although I live in the USA and do not have much knowledge of New Zealand.

Back