Computer Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

Bit of a long shot but i got a bit of a computer problem and now its starting to irritate me somewhat. Every now and again from 10 mins to 3 hours its totally random. My computer freezes when im playing games its not one particular games it is all the games i have installed. My computer freezes and i cannot ctrl alt del, windows button, alt f4, alt tab..i have to manually reset my computer. When it freezes its just like like i have taken a screenshot of something its that still. There is no graphical glitches, no lines, no wierd colours. There is nothing showing in the Eventlog either.

These are the things i have currently tested:

I have run memtest86 and all my ram sticks seperatly and no errors,

I have monitored my cpu temp and the max it goes to is around 65-70 degc and my graphics card goes to around 75 degc.

I have run a chkdsk and there is no errors (no funny noises either when computer freezes)

I have upgraded ALL of my drivers, and also used older versions.

I have updated my bios

I have taken apart my computer cleaned it all out and put it back together also replacing the paste on my cpu.

All my fans are working fine.

All cables replaced with new ones.

I have reinstalled windows twice.

My computer specs are:

Amd Athlon 64x2 6000
Asus Crossfire Motherboard
3gig Corsair Ram
XFX 8800 GTX XXX 768mb
1x150gig raptor hdd
1x750gig hdd
1100w OCZ Psu
XFI XtremeGamer Soundcard.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Sounds like a VGA problem. Try running in Safe Mode and see if it freezes. If not, then the likely culprit is the VGA card.

Best,
-- Andy

Only happens when im playing games though, i can be sat on desktop for hours and it will not freeze.

When you say its a VGA problem what do you suggest? new gfx card? or is there any tests i can do to prove that it is the gfx card before i fork out hundreds for a new one. :)

Cheers.

It's pretty much a sure bet it's something to do with the video card. Try going to the manufacturer's site and download/install the latest device driver. If that doesn't solve it, you'll need to swap it with another video card and see if the problem disappears.

Best,
-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back