Computer freezes 3-4 min after startup

Every time I turn my computer on around three to four minutes after startup it freezes on me. At first I thought that it might be a software or virus but it froze even when I went straight to the BIOS menu and left it there. I custom built this computer and have had it for about three years.

Try running a software program such as Hiren CD to check your harddrive, and memtest for your memory. If you are able to get the computer to stay on long enough. If not try swapping out your memory. To see if this helps Plus try another hard drive if possible. Same with cd rom, Video card. Unplug anything you may have hook to the computer such as printers and so forth. Check your motherboard for blown capacitors. Bye doing this you may stummble across what is causeing this if it is hardware related. Good luck.

I forgot to add clean all dust out of the computer. It may well be a overheating problem. But in the short time it takes to freeze, I am doubting this. But it might be worth a shot

I have plenty of airflow and cleaned all the dust out already and that didn't help at all. The computer won't stay on long enough for me to run anything. I will look for blown capacitors on the motherboard. I don't have any extra parts which means that by the time I try to replace stuff I will ultimately be buying a new computer so anything but that sounds like something that I will try.

Just try taking your parts out. Then replace them one at a time . Boot the computer up as you do this. You may run across what is causing the problem.

Back