Computer freezes during boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cephas

I'm not very good with technical jargon but...

When the computer starts up, I type in the boot password, the screen where you can press F8 to go into Safe Mode flashes up, and then the loading bar comes up...

After about a second, the loading bar freezes in it's place and however long I leave it it stays there.

It doesn't freeze in a set position, just within the first quarter of the bar.

Similarly, if I hit F8 repeatedly on startup, it freezes on the screen that asks me what mode I want to boot on...

This is a serious problem for me... I can't use my PC! :(

Is there any way to save it WITHOUT saving the files on to an external hard drive and wiping in clean?

Thanks,
Pete.

Just for clarification are you saying that you can't even enter Safe Mode? It will freeze as you try to boot to Safe Mode?

Nono, if I press F8 on the start-up options, it freezes on the screen that would allow me to choose starting with safe mode... :(

I had the same issue about a year ago and it turned out of all things to be corrupted memory. I suggest first running MemTest on your RAM to determine whether or not this is the culprit.

Access another computer and go to www.memtest.org and either install to a floppy or burn to a CD. Then boot up with either disk or floppy already in the drive. Since this test engages before Windows has a chance to load including what modes to run you should have no problems running it (knock on wood).

It must run for a minimum of 7 passes. 8 tests per Pass.

I think that Memtest runs AFTER the loading bars to be honest...

When I tried to boot from the MT floppy the PC did the same as always, froze on those bars.

Any suggestions?

Memtest engages before the Windows splashscreen even loads. Just have it in the appropriate drive, boot-up, and it will take over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back