Computer freezes up at XP splash screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello- I've googled this problem and have found variations of my problem but not my exact problem so...

Woke up yesterday to find the XP splash screen on my computer with the status bar scrolling and scrolling but nothing ever happens (computer was on all night).

Restarted it, got to the screen that gives me the option to run in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good config, and start windows normally.

I've tried the last 2 and it just freezes at the splash screen.

If you needs specs on my puter, let me know what you need.
I'm a noob so I really need someone to dumb down what advice they give. :eek:

Follow the steps for getting into Safe Mode for Windows XP HERE.

Choose Safe Mode
(The basic Safe Mode option is usually what most users will want to choose when troubleshooting their computer. This is the most basic Safe Mode option and has no additional support.)

Look in the Event Viewer for Errors corresponding to the time of the failed loading:

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:

• [1]. Click to open the log>
    [2]. Look for the Error>
    [3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
    [4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
    [5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
    [6].NOTES
    • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
    • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
    • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
    • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock..

You will see some errors about processes not loading in Safe Mode> we already know that so you don't need to copy those Events.

And yes, system information is always helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back