Computer Freezes When Idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I built a computer in February and have fixed all the little problems but one. It seems 90% of the time if I leave my computer idle for too long, it will freeze. Most of the time it happens if I boot it, walk away and when I come back everything has loaded but it is frozen. Any idea what's wrong?

CPU: Intel Q6700*
MB: Asus P5Q3 Deluxe Wifi
RAM: Corsair 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600Mhz
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Quad Silencer 750W
GPU: IceQ 4670 1GB

Off PC Probe and Asus AI Suite:
CPU Temp: 19C Idle - ~28C working +avg
System Temp: 32C Idle ~ 36C working +avg
Vcore=1.03V
+3.3=3.34V
+5=4.97V
+12=11.98V

Looks like you have a good rig... good temperatures, good equipment, excellent power supply... Is the Corsair memory value ram?

You didn't mention the OS, CPU fan, or hard disk drive.

Remove 2 GB or memory and see what happens. Next day change with the other 2 GB.
We find memory is the problem when you are stacked at 4GB... or cooling fans...
Consider taking a closer look at the thermal paste... if it is on too thickly, it can actually heat up and idle... as the paste acts as an insulator...
Then it is always useful to unplug and reseat all the cables

CPU Fan: Thermaltake
HDD: Seagate 1.5Tb

The cooling fan had preapplied paste on it and it looked like a good amount, not to much. It seems to happen only if you don't touch the computer for 10-20min and theres no programs running. If I leave a simple program like MS Word open, it won't freeze. Also if it goes on standby, it only comes back on half the time.

The ram is not value ram and I'll take each out tonight for an hour or two to see if its the problem. Since it usually happens within 20 minutes there shouldnt be a need to leave it on all day right?

As for the cables I thought it might have been the power connectors so I replugged them and it didn't seem to help. It seems it crashes when nothing is working it and works fine while running games or multiple programs.

I am betting on the hard drive. Is that Seagate a 1.5 or a 3.0 speed-wise?
Some of the first early releases of the Seagate 1.5 Tb hard drives had stall and quit problems... You might make an inquiry of Seagate using the numbers and dates off that drive to see if it is included in the recall.

I actually had a problem with the hdd freezing and I sent it back and they sent me a new one. With the old one it would freeze under load, opposite of whats happening now. And its 3.0

The Vcore voltage is very low for a q6700. You should raise it a little and see if the computer continues freeze. When I was underclocking my e5200 I jacked the voltage too low and the computer would freeze.

My q6600 is runs at 1.3 volts.. so your q6700 vcore of 1.03v is very low. If when you built your computer your chip was on the edge of stability.. over time the capacitors start to age and this could bring it over the edge.

SineSurfer

and you may have an program which works with the screen saver like an anti virus
and you can check the power options from the control panel
i hope ill help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back